What Quitting Instagram Taught Me

1. The number of likes don’t define me

What Quitting Instagram Taught Me

Back then, I’d be full out obsessed with how many likes my new post had garnered. If I had gotten a few, disappointment it was. Sometimes I’d feel like I just looked plain ugly in the picture, like there was no hope and I should try harder.

What Quitting Instagram Taught Me

Even worse, to make up for my insecurity at times I would lowkey think that my followers on Instagram who didn’t ‘like’ my pic were just jealous of me. Indeed it was unhealthy. And that’s pretty embarrassing to admit. I was depending too much on Instagram for self-validation.

2. I don’t need to be half-naked, I don’t need competition

What Quitting Instagram Taught Me

Countless cleavages, half-naked booty shoots and all. I felt compelled to do the same to get plenty of likes. Wouldn’t it be cool to become Instagram-famous? Don’t get me wrong, personallg there’s nothing disgusting about people who show their body off. Kudos to them if they are genuinely confident about their own body and skin!

But when it gets to the point where I was blatantly scrolling to the women’s comment sections and feeling deep jealousy on the amount of attention she was getting, then yes, that’s definitely a no-no. I wasn’t going to be desperate.

3. Why let “Unfollowers” ruin my day?

If I had a friend I knew in real life who had just unfollowed me, I’d think they were enemies and hated me. I downloaded an app which shows which followers in my list had unfollowed me. And when I saw my followers count go down, I remember just freaking out and scurrying to the app to investigate the scene.

Then *click*... I’d successfully unfollowed them back.

Reality was, I was wasting my time caring about who and why they unfollowed me and trying to convince myself that they were my enemies.
What Quitting Instagram Taught Me

4. Instagram is a waste of time

I was not getting anything looking through the heaps of celebrities’ profiles and photos and comment sections. All I was getting was “Low self-esteem” poison seeping through me without even realising it.

Oh holy, Kylie Jenner? Wow she’s got a fucking splendid life! Damn, just look at her jets, her cars, her endless new clothings. Why can’t I be that successful as her at a young age! Why, oh why?

Wow a Victoria secret model, Gigi Hadid! Jesus, she’s a 10/10 stunning beauty! And she even got Zayn Malik as her boyfriend? Amazingggg.

-And the story goes on for a bit, tra la la-

People, if all you are doing is envying people’s luxurious life and feeling shitty about it, you’re wasting your time. Don’t make up excuses like you’re trying to motivate yourself. It’s not about the destination, it’s about the process, the journey.

5. Fewer responsibilities

When I still had Instagram, I would feel some pressure to always keep up with many of friends’ daily lives. I’d try my best to ‘like’ their posts and drop comments here and there, making sure I hadn’t forgotten any. If I didn’t, I felt as if I were just a shitty friend or as if I was missing out. It’s not like they expected me to like every of their pictures, it was the unrealistic level of expectation that I had placed for myself. It was also the thinking that if I kept ‘liking’ their posts, they’d reciprocate and I wouldn’t have to worry about not getting likes in future. As if I would make a loyal ‘fan’. And likewise, if my friends didn’t ‘like’ my posts, I’d make a mental note to NOT ‘like’ theirs either the next time.

What Quitting Instagram Taught Me

It was that ridiculous. That ridiculous.

•••Thanks for reading! I know some of you are wondering why I wrote so little. I still have some more points but I am sort of rushing at the moment. I spent only an hour on this, sorry! Oh and no point blabbering and realising this topic is actually not of interest to you guys! 😂 So it’s kinda a win-win!

1824

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Thanks for sharing this Take. I've never had Instagram nor do I plan on getting one. I know, not from personal experience but from observing other people, that social media can be addictive and a huge waste of time. Considering my age, I figured I'd be especially vulnerable to it, so I decided to never use social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. I do have a YouTube account for music and a Skype for calling distant relatives, and of course GaG (although I'm pretty anonymous here).

I like to think my life is for the better without all these social media platforms. I am much more productive, and I don't have self esteem issues. I hang out and talk with friends in person rather than through texting and calling. It just feels more fulfilling that way.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 23

• Very good points. I think people stress over sites like instagram in the end it's not that serious it's just online and not real life.

• This post was really hard-hitting to be honest. I have never had instagram and never use facebook. But I date a lot of women and I have seen this sort of behavior time and time again.

I... am shocked... that this is how many women think.

• I think its great to make sure you don't get too attached to social media. It can be quite toxic.

However, I think it is a great tool for staying connected to your friends and potential clients. Still, when you start spending too much time, you need to walk away and you did and thats great :)

• Excellent points. Those are the reasons I left Instagram as well. I can't stand Instagram. Full of narcissists, half naked girls and dudes, wannabe models, et cetera.

• I already had a feeling I'd regret coming to Instagram... and most social media in general. Especially when the reason is trying to gain popularity. I live with few responsibilities and I am a much happier person that way. :)

• Glad to see that you realized that it wasn't worth your time. There's a lot of other things we can do with our time that are more fulfilling.

• I stopped using Facebook almost entirely for the same reason. I let the amount of likes others gave on something influence my self esteem, rather than providing it myself.

• People stress too much about the internet and Facebook, and Instagram etc. Just stay away from it all and relax.

Simples...

• Like all social media, Instagram is fun to use, as long as one does not become obsessed with it.

The issue is, it seems like Instagram is VERY easy to become obsessed with!

in my opinion, the key is to not concern yourself with "social media popularity" (as in numbers of followers/likes/shares/views).

The odds of becoming a "somebody" through social media popularity, is EXTREMELY small, and continues to get smaller by the week because there's even more people attempting to get popular this way!

• There's a better way to use social media. If you didn't like those things then you should have changed who you followed, who followed you, started following small businesses you liked (I've ordered seeds, tools, and even been given gifts via instagram), and networked with better people.

It sounds like you fell into the same behaviors most girls on instagram do: Taking narcissisty (selfie) after narcissisty and wondering why the experience feels so hollow. Take pictures of things other than your face, show your world because instagram is a photo album that can be shared with the world.

If all you have to share is your ass and done up face then yeah of course it's going to suck.

• I've never joined instagram. But I think I should join and then quit so I can learn these lessons.

• just look at me, I only use whatsapp on my phone, 4chan, youtube and this site.

• It's all entertainment is all.

• Great take thanks.

• Very interesting myTake

• facts

• Interesting...

• never for me

• And Twitter is full of high Scholl kids too 😑

• Don’t use it but my kids do and seem hooked

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 17

• I quit instagram in 2013
    I don't even use snapchat either
    recently quit facebook last December
    Right now im focusing on bettering myself and enjoying life outdoors.

• Social media should be used to make you happy, if you become obsessed with it then using instagram will be a bad experience for you.

i use instagram for looking at the newest memes LOL. Once in awhile i post a picture, sometimes its a selfie, sometimes its with friends or family, but usually its places i've visited because when i look back at my profile the pictures bring back good memories.

This is a great take because it reminds people to not put so much emphasis on social media.

• i didn't necessarily quit instagram, but i temporarily inactivated it, and i fell better lol i sort of stalked my friends to see what theyre up to but know i feel more at peace not really knowing what theyre doing lol

• Online is as Real as anything gets. It's those who are Online who Make it Or Fake it.
    @coolbreeze. xx

• Stay off of Instagram, Get off FB and stay on Gag. You can help other with their mental problems. xx

• You got have tough skin to be on social media. Just look at me. Everyone hates me and I been on here for 10 years. Lol

• As an Instagram freak myself, I can confirm you that those posts and stuff will only bother you if you let them bother you. ✌

• I’ve never had Instagram. Probably never will.

• This is so true!

• Interesting and somewhat true

• Way to go i agree

• Very true, Instagram is toxic with competition

• i love kermit
    brightened my day

• Very nice take!

• I love the memes
    Lol

• Mostly all of them are bull, mostly IG

• No need to quit to do something

• Kermit is so cute