Why would he act like this?

So there's this guy, Adam, that I've known basically since birth, we've grown up in the same church, we are good friends because of this, and also our parents and families are very close friends. It all started a couple of months ago. We had a dance at school where the girls are supposed to ask the guys. I was talking to him online about it and this guy I told him I was thinking about asking. He asked me to describe him and I was like "oh he's cute and he's got this teddy bear look about him when he's smiles, but when he's serious he looks like a military man, and he's very sweet to me" And then he goes "hey that sounds like me!" So I jokingly said "oh so are you going to take me to the dance?" And he goes, well I could. But I'll have to check with Nicole to see if its ok. (Nicole was his girlfriend at the time that he claims he was in love with) Well, its like a week before the dance and then out of the blue he asks me what day the dance is and I tell him, and he goes, "oh shoot that's the same day as ours, sorry I can't go with you then." He told me that he would have gone with me, but he can't leave his girlfriend alone at the dance. So basically we got into our first fight ever because of this stupid dance. But eventually it passes over and we're almost back to normal. Then fast forward a couple months, and this girl he really liked dumped him.BUT, he's never told me this himself. His brother did. We have this teen class for our church, and we were eating in the kitchen, and I was like "does somebody want to split a lemon square with me?" cause they were huge, and his younger brother kevin goes "adam does." But he was like no thanks I already had one. So I keep eating and adam goes to wash the dishes. So while his back is turned his brother comes up to me and tells me that she broke up with him. And I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret so I guess I was like "aww poor baby" a little too loud. So Adam turned around and saw us Kevin was like ohh I've got to go cause he's looking this way, but I told him to tell me what happened later. But we never got the chance to be alone so he could tell me. Which stunk pretty much, but I've gave him some space after that, because his grandpa had died like the week before she dumped him, so all together he was very miserable. But now that its been awhile, he still is distant with me. We're not like we used to be, which was really close. I can tell that he's avoiding me. I like him a lot, and I'm upset that's he's acting so strangely. He's honestly a really nice guy,and I would love to be more than a friend for him, but since he's been acting this way I don't know what to think!Also, I'm scared to tell him how I feel, because if he doesn't like me it could jeopardize our friendship. What could be going on with him and what should I do? Please Help!
Why would he act like this?
Add Opinion