Is nail biting an ugly habit?

I have anxiety and have picked up on the habit of biting my nails when I'm anxious sometimes I don't even notice I'm doing it
Is it a gross quirk? Or does it not bother you

1931

Most Helpful Guy

• Since I started taking classes, I've been really surprised how many girls sit in class and chew on their nails. I'm not saying guys don't do this, I've just noticed girls doing it. I think it's gross, there's a lot of bacteria under finger nails. But I guess we all have our gross habits, I wouldn't hold it against anyone.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not an ugly habit. But it's not good for the health at all.
    It's for your teeth. Over the time, your teetn will most probably chip, break or slighly shift out of place. And also, if you don't wash your hands very often, dust and germs forms in the corner of nails which can make you ill if you tend to bite your nails.
    Girls are especially at the risk of falling sick because nail polish are toxic and if you bite your coloured finger nails, it can be really poisonous.
    So, please try to get rid of this habit 🙄

What Guys Said 30

• Nope. It doesn't bother me. It is bad habit from my point of view. Read this article. It will help you.

www.xojane.com/.../quit-nail-biting-in-10-steps

(Disclaimer : We are not promoting any website through the platform of G@G).

• its not annoying to me
    but socially it doesn't speak good about you

• Yes, but it's incredibly difficult to stop doing it. Through power of will, I did manage to stop for months, years ago and had nice nails again. Not so determined nowadays.

• Say to yourself over and over. I will never bite my nails again. It's brain training. It'll destroy the repetitive instinct to do it. Before you know it weeks will go past and you'll notice you need to cut your nails lol. Do it every chance you get. A lot of destructive behaviour can be solved like this

• It is an ugly habit. Try using nail polishes that contain denatonium benzoate. You will NEVER ever bite them after such an experience.

• Doesn't bother me at all, but you might end up with some really short nails, which usually doesn't look very good. So depending on how often you re anxious I guess.

• It is a bad habit. I know a guy who always bites his nails and they look gross. Not only do his nails look short, dirty, and stubby, but the skin around his nails looks red and infected to some degree.

• What about toe biting... fungal toe

• Yup!

• I used to bite my nails and I hated it. My nails were always a mess.

• It's a bad habit but it doesn't bother me

• it doesn't bother me and it is actually healthy.

• No it doesn't.

• Vipe helps

• it happens when a person is in stress or confusion. it is bad habbit but cure it with fixing your stress level

• I've been a nail biter all my life and have only recently been able to stop
    it's gross and leaves you fingers in a mess

• yeah it's pretty gross but i can't really judge cos i always do it.

• Yes, gross and bothers me.
    Hands are one of the dirtiest body parts.
    The noise bothers me.

• It doesn't bother me, I acually think its cute

• yes it is

• NO!

Don't let society control your actions! Nail biting isn't illegal so don't worry about it.

• as long as u dont do it in my presence or have fucked up nails all the time

• yes it is

• It's a bad one

• Yes it's gross and ruins your nails

• not , but swallowing nails can be unhealthy

• It's pretty natural thing. I do the same when I feel nervous

• Yes, but I don't mind it.

• I do it infrequently now, used to bite them to the point of bleeding when I was younger, isn't a nice habit at all really
    We need to resist!

• It's a bad habit and makes your nails look bad~

What Girls Said 18

• I can't stand watching it. It's just so unsettling watching someone tear at their nail like a dog biting its dewclaw. And the result are these stubby-fingertips with barely-there nails.

• I bit my nails pretty much from when I had teeth until this year where I decided to quit. Took a heck of a lot of willpower and it wasn't easy but my hands look really nice now with nice nails. But yeah it's really hard. I wouldn't wanna go back TBH.

• It's not a good habit. It would annoy the shit out of me tbh.

• It's not the best habit, but it's better than others.

Just remember to stick to the nails and don't bite the fleshy part of the finger. Oh, and wash your hands well so you aren't eating dirt or chemicals.

• I don't find it ugly but it does make your nails look bad.

• Yeah, its so easy to bite them too short and that can make you bleed and get infected and all sorts of nasties, its also pretty hard to break the habit too.

• It's not a good habit. Get anti nail biting nail polish asap to curb this bad habit.

• it is.

• yes it is..

• Very ugly and gross plus it makes your fingers look crazy. I used to bite the skin around my nails. I think I developed that habit from being abused since I was young. I cut it out when I saw how ugly it makes my fingers.

• Yes because many germs and things get under your nails and you're basically putting that in your mouth.

• As someone whose bitten their nails to the point of no nail since I was like 5 I can say that yes it is a really gross habit, whatever making you anxious try to get away from it or solve it and carry a nail file with you and gum

• It's pretty bad for your teeth and it doesn't look as good as clean cut nails. It might be frowned upon if you're doing it in public. If you want to stop, you could try trimming them too short to chew, or have them constantly painted for a while.

• ya it's gross. it's annoying too.

• I don't think of it as bad, even I sometimes do it.

• Bad habit

• i bite my nails too! i hate it because i can never grow my nails, its pretty gross but i can't jude you either.