She liked me when I had a girlfriend, why not now?

So I’ve been good friends with a girl for a while now, I think she’s great but I never really saw her in that way because I had a girlfriend. She used to be all over me, and especially keen to talk all the time. I split up with my girlfriend around 3 months ago and it was a bit of a difficult break up, so I sort of disappeared for a week or two. When I start being social (I go to university), I saw her out and we got on really well. After our night out we were walking back to our dorms and one of my best mates went off with her. When he returned I asked him what it was about and he said about me. He hinted (but didn't straight up say) that she liked me, and wanted to maybe take things further. I never really thought about it, shrugged it off as drunken words and went back to normal. Over the past month, as I’ve slowly got over my last girlfriend, she always seems to be in my mind, and I think about her quite a bit. Whenever I message her she replies super quick but then suddenly she’ll just stop, read my message, and not continue the conversation. I haven't opened up about my ex directly, but sometimes she’ll say stuff like “why did you break up with her if you’re so upset about it?”, to which I’d reply “I didn't love her anymore.” I really hate mixed signals and if she’s playing a game then I’ll probably go off her a lot. I just don’t really understand how she was really keen on me during my last relationship, and now a few months later she just makes 0 effort with me. Is she giving me time and space to get over my ex, or is it the old “want what you can't have scenario”? Should I bite the bullet and just ask her for a date, or leave it a bit longer until there is more a sign of interest?
She liked me when I had a girlfriend, why not now?
Add Opinion