Are these back hand compliments or signs of insecurity?

Allie18
My best friend since high school has been making “shady” comments about my skin color since we were in 10th grade (we’re now seniors in college). For reference, she’s half Asian and half Black. Anyway, she used to tell me things like, “your skin is too dark for me to do your makeup”, “how come your hair isn’t nappy?”, “wow! Your hair actually grows?”, “Dark skin is so ugly”. Those comments hurt, but I’m a very sensitive person, so I never knew if she was joking or not. Fast forward to now, I bought a new car and when my friend and I went for a ride, she said, “wow you really have a black person’s car now”, and she kept making comments about my driving, saying things like, “mmmm your driving has gotten better... you need to stay in your lane” Mind you, a few years ago I was in an accident and was afraid to drive...
11 mo
I’ve tried talking to her about this in the past, but she didn’t see a problem with it because she doesn’t think she’s Black
11 mo
In my honest opinion, I think she’s insecure of her skin color, and she projects that insecurity onto me. Even though she’s mixed, we are the same shade of brown
3
0