Why would a girl only respond if I acted like an asshole?

Anonymous
If I was an arrogant asshole, she would smile and act flirty, and want to be around me. Same thing with jealousy: if other girls gave me flirty attention, she would start lurking around me a lot, and initiating flirty conversation.

If I acted normal and nice, she behaved indifferently and coldly, and had a resting bitch face, couldn't be bothered interacting, and seemed sort of bitchy.

On paper she was a keeper: she was apparently religious, and other guys assumed she the type of girl who would really connect with a decent guy (and guys encouraged me to pursue). It took too much energy having to constantly be a dick for her to pay attention. Interacting with her wasn't much fun, and interaction felt like a tight-rope walk.

Why might a girl only respond if a guy acted like a dick around her, and act so aloof and cold when he acted like a normal, functional human?
2
1