Why do people give you the silent treatment, then get upset when they return the same energy?

Anonymous
My mother has been giving the the silent treatment for over a month because I moved 35 minutes away to be closer to my job (and to distance myself from my toxic family). She does this to anyone in my family that upsets her, often without telling people why she upset. However, unlike my father and siblings, I don’t grovel and beg for her attention and warmth until she comes around, being overly affectionate and giving. I stop talking to her as well and allow her to stew in her anger. I’m not rude to her, I just think that it is pointless to keep trying to talk to someone who keeps being cold toward you.

My sister recently informed me that my mother has said that I’ve been ignoring her and that I don’t love her after everything that she’s done for me. That she cannot change how I feel about her, but she’ll be okay. That I’m ashamed of the family now that I’ve achieved success in my career.

Again, she’s been doing this my entire life but it still blows my mind that she’ll freeze me out and then turn things around on me.
5
4