Can Someone Explain to Me Why She Would Stay with This Guy?

LuketheDuke
So a question that has been bothering me in my head for sometime, but I have never gotten an answer to is why a girl would decide to stay with a guy who is a clear POS (to say the least). Before anyone thinks I'm bitter: this is not the case. This is concerning a friend of mine and her boyfriend Ted. My friend's name is Crystal and somehow she fell head over heels for this guy named Ted who was such an abusive piece of shit and didn't even show up on time for their first date. Ted gave her a black eye, yet despite myself and others telling her to drop him like a sack of potatoes, she continued to insist that he was actually a good guy at heart. To be honest, I have seen this happen to so many women in my life, but WHY?

I don't talk badly about people unless they truly deserve it, and this guy deserved it. It's utterly maddening to see a lot of young women somehow convince themselves that assholes and abusers are perfectly okay people to be with. Why does this happen? Do a lot of young women just lack self-esteem or WHAT?
1
4