Is this normal for a guy who is depressed?

For about 3 months, my boyfriend has been depressed and not happy with who he is. we were also having some problems of our own. because of this, he separated himself from me. he said he loved me, but he wasn't in the right state of mind and he didn't know what was happening. he said he needed to figure things out. I understood.

I gave him some space, but we still spent a little time together. he said he wanted more space, so we stopped hanging out for a couple weeks. then he contacted me, and we started seeing each other again. we were getting along and having fun. after about a month of that, he said again that he did not get the space he needed and I needed to let him be. so I did. I did not contact him for a month. after that, he asked if we could catch up. I agreed but was hesitant. the reason I've put up with it is because he is like family (8 year relationship). he never did anything like this before, and he's been there for me through many rough times when I was not necessarily good to him.

when I saw him, he talked about how much better he was doing. he had started exercising a lot, quit smoking, decided to move in to a bigger place, and quit the job he felt was bringing him down. he said he was still not completely feeling great, but better.

a few days later, he got a hold of me again, asking to hang out. I thought all of this back and forth business was going to be over FINALLY, so for the past week, I've let him get a hold of me and we spent 3 days together.

yesterday, he told me I was too available to him and I should have had my guard up so he could not hurt me. he said his state of mind is still bad, and he loves being with me, but he can't and doesn't feel right about it and I need to leave him alone, because I'm making it too 'easy'. I got upset and told him it was him I tried to let him be, but he kept contacting me. he said it was wrong of me to point a finger at him and said I should have known he wasn't thinking clearly. he said the way I should view him right now is being too f***ed up to make clear decisions and I need to stay away until he tells me he is completely level headed and wants to be with me again (if ever).

is this normal behavior for someone who is depressed?

I have every intention to ignore his contacting me if he does again. I did not want to have to do that to someone I love who feels badly.
1
1