Why I Love Being Anonymous on This Site!

Many keeps on asking questions on why there are so many anonymous people on here, and why the most friendliest topics even has pinks and blues? Well, I'm one of the gagers that prefer staying in the shadows! :)

1. The shadows are a pretty fun place to be.Why I love being anonymous on this site!

I rarely ever troll anyone, but it's pretty fun getting to know gagers and acknowledge them, when they don't know you. I'm probably a weirdo, but I love the feeling of being a mystery xD Probably nobody other than me who cares enough to really wonder who I am either way, but I like the thought of being a mystery even though I'm not xD I also like them not knowing they have had a conversation with me a hundred times before, and that I have more intel than they think I do.

2. People appreciate my advice more being someone under 18, and not a 15 year old.
People don't think younger people have enough life experience or intelligence to give valuable advice. I don't see the big difference between 2 years, but it does help.

3. Probably have some social issues too.

I don't like getting hate, even the slightest, and I do anything to prevent it. If someone disagrees with me, I'll get very uncomfortable and start doubting myself. It's not good for me, but is also something I need to work out.

I'm sure there are probably more reasons to why other gagers go anonymous, and why I do, but I'm trying to make it short, and fast :)) Maybe this was helpful, maybe not. Either way, I love the anonymous option even though you might think that it's annoying.

2344

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 44

• I don’t like this. I really don’t. I mean…yeah, I like your article, but…
    Don’t be anonymous. Have balls to stand by your opinion. Like me. If anyone cared enough to get through them, then (s) he might find pretty interesting stuff.
    The thing is, that nobody cares. Because…why anyone should? The same thing applies to you. I could analyze frequency of words usage, if I’d care enough, to find, which articles and comments are yours. The way you talk is giving you off, and this is not, what you can change by checking the anonymous checkbox. But! I don’t care. And I’m pretty sure, nobody else does.
    It’s also seems to me like ling yourself. You know, what’s yours. So, if you get hate here, you still get hate. How being anonymous prevents that? It just doesn’t.
    So…you like being mysterious girl. Cool. But…what if you are the only one who play this game? What if simply nobody cares? Because that’s probably closer to the truth.
    I just see another anonymous. I don’t get any mysterious vibe. I get only the “I don’t want to be named under this” vibe. There is missing some reason for that.

• I've been harassed and stalked for having an opinion someone did not like i. e they would call me out "hey it's that guy who said that thing that offended me" or go to my answer feed and answer every question to "get back" at me.

There are very vengeful people on the internet who take things to far because they can't handle people having a different opinion or easily get offended. Therefore the anon feature protects people from harassment especially when they answer a certain question whose subject matter is sensitive or if you ask a question that people might get offended by.

• @metalsucks2 OK, thanks for explanation, but I already knew it.
      I guess I handle these people differently. I say stuff which offens people. On regular basis. And I don't care about them. Here we are on the internet. Nobody cares about someones feelings.

• lol well actually sometimes Anonymous users are actually pretty cool. Many of which I'd like to know who they actually are sometime.

• It is a shame they allow this on the site. When you make a profile, you are already anonymous. Nobody knows who you are. The fact that anyone posts as anonymous shows they have a very low IQ and shouldn't be allowed to use a computer for anything but learning their ABC's...

• Yeah I can see the appeal. I find I'm pretty mysterious even though I don't go anonymous on any questions or comments I'm involved in. That being said, the pic I have isn't of me, so technically I suppose I'm still anonymous.

But, I don't hide how I feel about things and I'm very honest with my opinions and if someone were to ask me anything really, you're getting honesty. That might be another reason you prefer to be anonymous. It might be easier to be truthful when the person can't identify you.

I would share my photo if I got to know the person well enough for sure. If they asked as well. However, I'm not sure how people that I know outside of internetness, if they recognized who I was, would think of me, because of my answers or opinions.

• No matter how social a person may be, keeping your activities secret will help ensure that you have a spic and span reputation online. You show people what you want them to see, and still have your dignity and reputation intact. However, with the rise of Internet and social media, it is already difficult to protect your identity and stay anonymous.

Even if you use an alias, you are not sure if your identity is protected from theft, bullying, and other harmful Internet effects. While anonymity made people speak out without fear of the repercussions their actions will make, it is not enough to protect yourself from Internet crimes. As long as you are active online, thieves can use your identity to commit crimes.

Experts at data manipulation (a. k. a. Hackers) can have a number of fake identities and expertly gain access to other people’s online data. Since no one knows who they are as they use fake passwords, accounts, and names, they can create numerous Internet crimes, such as bullying, racism, impersonation of people and stock market manipulation.

If you believe using an alias online can protect you from hackers, you are wrong. Your digital footprint can easily be deconstructed and sensitive information you thought you were protecting can be traced back to you. Hackers can hack into your account and find out your real identity — especially if you have more than two accounts.

They will use the newly acquired identity to commit crimes, possibly destroying your identity and your reputation.

Why does this happen? Well, the Internet has recorded and archived your real profile already. You already established your real identity the moment you started using the Internet. You may use aliases and different usernames in forums and blogs, but you still have your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. Hackers can easily identify you with these social media accounts, especially if they are connected to your aliases. No matter how anonymous you are, there is a big chance you will become a victim of identity theft.

• Internet Security Tips

However, there are ways to prevent yourself from becoming a victim. All you have to do is just follow a few tips.

• Never be complacent in creating passwords. As much as possible, never use simple passwords or, worse, use the same one on all of your accounts. Even if they are complicated, some websites have less security in protecting passwords. It is hard to memorize many passwords, but this is for your own good and the protection of your identity.

• Make sure the website you are visiting is not fake because leading you to a fake website is what hackers like to do. This is especially true for websites that ask for your personal details.

• If you are going to be anonymous online and are going to do stuff that may have repercussions, make sure you stay anonymous. Do not go out revealing who you are even offline because the world has become a smaller place with the Internet.

• • Lastly, try using Web anonymizers hat help hide your identity while using the Internet. They come in the form of VPNs, web proxies, and other online anonymity enhancing services. When you have these, thieves and hackers will have a hard tie tracking or monitoring your activity and location.

• I was at a lunch one time with Rudy Giuliani. He was talking about his time as mayor of NYC and how he turned NYC from one of the most dangerous cities in America to one of the safest.

At the time, more information was getting dumped on the web and he talked about privacy. He said, "People have a right to privacy, but they do not have a right to anonymity."

I took some time to think about that and I realized that with today's availability of information, privacy does not exist without anonymity.

• 7d

I NEVER ever post anonymously. I don't care for one minute who knows it's ManOnFire saying what he's saying. I'm not afraid of people or feel like I have to hide. Most Anons though probably do share your same sentiment, but in the end is still rooted in fear.

• If people disagree with you they will disagree whether you are anonymous or not. If one person disagrees with you then you start doubting yourself. What would happen if lets say 10 people disagree with you? tHat is something you need to work on because you will go through life and there will be people who disagree with you.

• I know I need to work on that, and I am currently doing that. I think I should take it gradually, so I've started to go less anonymous more

• 7d

Ah, a special snowflake. Someone that can't stand it if someone disagrees with you. So you need anonymity, safe space to prevent hate-speech. Such a shame to be so delicate. [shrug]

• 7d

I don't like the anon feature because you don't get notified when someone replies to your post. The makes it impossible for an anon user to follow a discussion. Better to set your profile to "private" and then post using your real username. The "privacy setting" prevents bullies and haters from tracking your comment history and web site activity, while still allowing you to be notified when someone comments on one of your posts. My username is anonymous anyway, so I don't mind posting under that label. I protect my privacy and prevent haters from connecting the dots by simply hiding my posting activity.

• 7d

I often skip posts made by Anonymous people... just replying for my 5 points;-P

I think GAG should have a feature to allow you to filter out anonymous posted questions.

• So you like trolling too?

• I don't think I've ever really trolled anyone on here now that I think about it. I don't think I'm that good trolling either. And with good trolling I don't mean silly, unnecessary comments everybody would do better without.

• I am! ur Trolled

• Yeah I have always believed there was good anons and bad anons on the site - I never have a problem with anyone once they contribute constructively to what is going on - I try not to judge anybody by any of their identifying criteria so in a way they are anon to me just sometimes if someone gives really good input, if they are non anon you can remember their username or who knows a friendship may develop.

• My feeling is "pff, just another anonymous".

• Yes the Anonymous feature benefits many people
    and i believe it does help for those who want remain private
    Thanks for sharing this MyTake with us very well appreciated.

• Unless I forget, I always don't allow anon replies to my questions.

• 5d

I've started this, though I do allow private. I can understand why a person may not want to share their opinions openly about certain topics but when you allow them to go anon I feel like you get a lot more shamers, depending on topic, and people saying hateful things.

• I can see the appeal.

• 7d

I'm only anonymous on rare occasions, like if I don't want to get some shit feedback on something. The only Anons I don't like are those guys pretending to be girls, and they'll ask some really crude sex question.

• I never go anonymous

• I fully, totally, utterly disagree. My name is Pierino Forno, I was born in Chile of Italian parents, I enjoy surfing the net for interesting ideas and smackable bottoms, I'm an angel and a demon, and I will answer any question about my private life. I think having no secrets is the only path that leads to truly human communication. True, some may try to take advantage of my openness, but I don't care.

• More from Guys
    24

What Girls Said 23

• I once had a glitch on my account for a few weeks. If i hovered my cursor above the anon symbol i could actually see who was behind anon lol it would display their profile image and username lol it was fun while it lasted. Everyone thought i was psychic lol

• i dont like being anonymous.. she should be brave enough to say your opinion or ask Q withot being afraid and judged...

• Interesting take. I can't agree on being anon because of the fear of getting hate. Because I've been anon on here before and received hate. Of course, I've received hate as my regular self here as well. I basically feel the same when I get hate on both sides. What I'm trying to say is that you're gonna get hate regardless of who you are. It's up to you how you react to the hate. You could dwell on it and feel like shit. Or you could brush it off and go on about your day. At the end of the day, opinions are opinions and they don't matter one bit.

But I totally understand where you're coming from. I used to be afraid of hate as well.

• I'd also like to point out here that age is not necessarily indicative of how wise one is. This comment here is brimming with wisdom.

• 5d

@Djaaay Like I said earlier, I'm not the mytake owner. Believe it if you want to, but it's not true. I don't have the time to argue with a GROWN ASS MAN. Have a good day sir.

@Nivinxus I don't really think that I'm wise, I just wanted to show common sense. But a lot of people who commented on this mytake proved that age isn't an indicator of how wise someone is.

• 5d

So now you claim your wise and that you posses common sense ? LMFAOSH...

• You know what... I'm very against the anonymous cowards and trolls, but it makes sense that people under 18 should all be anonymous. That's what I'd do on this site - for many reasons...

• 6d

nice burn.

• I've never posted anonymously, but I guess it's a nice feature. Of course it doesn't matter that much to me to be anonymous, because I don't know anyone on GAG in real life anyway.

• Good my take, but you could have just lied about your age, but you do you

• You're probably right, but I don't go anonymous on absolutely everything, and when I ask questions I want opinions adapted to my age, and all that.

• That makes since.

• Everyone is anonymous on this site, unless you choose to reveal your real name. You think having a username matters?

• 6d

Nah. I see under 18s all the same TBH.

• 5d

I love this MyTake! Thank you for sharing it.

• I like being anon because I play the villain and no one can say it's me. And sometimes I am anon for the sake of it, even I question myself as to why I chose being anon for certain answers because I didn't need to :)

• 5d

I'm really shy, even online. So when I have an embarrassing topic I have to talk about, I tend to use anon, even though I'm already technically anon on this site lol not like anyone knows me. It's just a more comforting feeling for those embarrassing things to be honest.

• Certain questions I will go anonymous, sometimes easier to ask.

• 3d

I don't know

• 1d

Depending on the topics... And depending on certain things... I do troll around a bit but usually only because I am giving an honest opinion. topic say this guy getting two girls to get an abortion because he knocked them up? he is only 20 peeves me off xD example by the way lol

• 7d

Agreeed! Love this feature

• I agree, but also I go anon whenever I share something private/personal that I don't want to get traced to my account.

• Finally, someone speaking up for us! Mwa ha ha ha

• I tend to stay anonymous most of the time because there are some groups of people here that really scare me.

• Because are usually tend to be a bully but in a good way I just say what I think is correct without the filter and I think people don't mind as much when you are anonymous that when you are yourself specially cause I have the real picture of me and if you say something that they don't like that Just leads for them to insult me or say BS to me that's why I rather reply anonymous and with GIFS Yes I am the GIFS girl http://data.whicdn.com/images/37089204/large.gif

• More from Girls
    3