Don't you think GAG should add a "Race" category?

I've been seeing a lot of posts on here about race and those are the ones that I'm most interested in reading and answering but I'm always missing them. I feel like it's a controversial enough topic.

416

Most Helpful Guy

• Hell fucking no.

The best way to eradicate the race issue is to accept that there is no such thing as race. People who define themselves by their race need to completely stop doing so immediately.

There is no such thing as 'black' or 'white'. Only mega-idiots (like Chris Rock if we're talking celebrities) who insist on enforcing the stereotypes. If dark-skinned people especially, stop stereotyping themselves by listening to hip-hop and thinking theyre cool, they might actually blend in to the point where there is no basis for any distinction.

The only difference between light-skinned and dark-skinned people in Britain and America today, is that light-skinned people aren't trying to identify as 'white'.

In fact, some of the most 'successful' dark-skinned people (Hendrix, Kenny Baron, Obama, Tiger Woods etc) were successful exactly because they didn't 'try to be black'. Race isn't an issue unless you make it one. Be colourblind.

• There is no race on a genetic level. It's true. But you basically just said "all non whites, act white and it's all good." That's not good. I was getting ready to try and reason it all out but I came to way too many layers to type and I'm not trying to write a book right now. Though there are books about this very topic!

• Im white.

• @Arbalest I dont think there is a way to 'act white'. there's just English, or American, or French, etc. The predominant skin colour in these countries is light, but the culture is just the local thing. I look forward to seeing dark-skinned people going fishing, camping, going to rock gigs, quoting Monty Python, playing chess, LARPing, working at dog shelters, going to Physics discussions, etc, but in these traditional Western settings, suddenly dark-skinned people are nowhere to be seen!!! Sure theyre in the minority, but their absence in these environments must be because a lot of them are defining themselves as separate from the rest of us. And I dont think thats a good thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, but I don't think they like those questions because they delete half of them

What Guys Said 15

• Absolutely not. Being told I have 'white privilege'' out of assumption of my race and having my opinion on certain issues assaulted because of it alone is irritating enough - we don't need racial labels on our profiles to make their jobs easier. If someone wants to share how they happen to look then that's on them todo it voluntarily

• Whoops, completely misinterpreted the question. The answer is still ''no'', though

• No, this is Girls ask guys, not blacks ask whites. Besides It's in the "society and politics" catagory already.

• In theory it should be a very interesting topic but it reality it would be a hornets nest attracting many negative users plus passions may run too high for any constructive discussion.

• No, that sounds like a terrible idea actually. Just sounds like a place for bitter people to brag about their races accomplishments or shame others for their race flaws. I mean personally I find the topic of race to be boring and counterproductive.

• that is an absolutely horrible idea

• No !! Too much focus on race & other divisions as it is !!

• i think the human race is the only race on this planet capable of reading/writing English so it would be moderately redundant

• Yeah and we all know if cats could type they would just talk shit about humans.

• No that would add fuel to fire, racism is already a big issue on the site besides race falls under society and politics catergory already

• Yes, there are too many race questions on here...

• I would appreciate it. I can then do the same as to the "how I look"-category. Block it.

• Yep, then I can ignore those questions.

• That's racist. *triggered*

• Nope. Not needed

• Nah, people get too stupid when race is involved. Leave it out.

• There is only one race the human race. Anyone who says otherwise is racist.

What Girls Said 3

• No. There would be far too much ignorance going on and a lot of arguments. The anon posts would be ridiculous.

• No, there can be good discussions about race, but a dedicated category would become a hotbed of bigoted opinions.

• covered in the "society" section

• No, they have a bunch of other stuff in that category that I mostly am not interested in.