Why can't non-American gagers understand a question? Have you experience the struggle?

There you are once again answering repetitive question on G@G and then you get a response. you go to click on it and the person doesn't understand. Why? Why can't they understand? So you roll your eyes and give up... or else your stuck for 3 hours convicing someone that they aren't ugly... or whatever

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe because not everyone speaks English natively? In the same way if they asked a question in Spanish you won't understand it.

Also because USA accounts for 4.4% of the world population, English speakers account for roughly 4.7%, so statistically, if you spoke to randok people in the world, the chances are that only 1/20 people would speak English as their first language.

Many people on here have had to learn English in addition to their mother tongue, it's not easy so they make a mistake every now and then, cut them some slack and show a little respect

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Some English words mean different things in different countries. Some of the styles in which we communicate infer different things to different people.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• Don't be mean. Even if you are frustrated.
    The users of this site are very international. Not just north American.
    Many are second language English speakers (and largely they do a good job).
    Which means their experiences and lives may be very different to yours.
    However, there are an endless stream of similar questions from all countries. It's up to you to choose the interesting ones.

2|1
    0|0
  • Not everyone here is a native English speaker. And some of those that are - well, you wouldn't think so.

2|0
    0|0
  • Different places have different cultures and languages... think it might say more about you. I dont mean that in an insulting way, just, I guess people are different depending on their backgrounds.

(Translation for Americans: like, totally.)

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't struggle much understanding questions here on G@G even though English isn't my first language. I do get stuck every once in a while... Google to rescue!

And I think one should rather give them (non- American G@Gers) credit that they do understand most of it, even though its not their mother tongue.

1|0
    0|0
  • There's an awful lot of foreigners on GAG. They don't really understand English, despite the best efforts of the British Empire and the fact that English is LITERALLY the easiest language to learn in the world.

Simples...

1|1
    0|0
    • Agreed, but English can get tricky somehow...
      I'm a fluent speaker btw!

About that British Empire thing...
      LMFAO, you really made my day!

• I'm non American and usually I understand your questions Apple :D
    Just be careful not to use too many expressions... those may sound unfamiliar to non-native English speakers :o

2|0
    0|0
  • It is perhaps because several non-Americans (I suppose you meant US Americans) are unable to notice that the rest of the world (ca.4% by population) defines the standard for all.

1|1
    0|0
  • There are many people on here, that English isn't their first language. I usually ask them to rephrase the question if I don't understand

1|0
    0|0
  • Why dont you just give opinions to americans so you can understand each other well and leave the rest of the gagers on their own.

1|0
    0|0
  • If someone is confused about something I try to answer their questions. It doesn't bother me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe if your English was better, people would understand better?

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, not at all...

Egyptian GAGer here and having a jolly good time with the GAG family here!

1|0
    0|0
  • How many languages do you speak? Im curious...

3|3
    0|0
  • Maybe when they do they have bad English?

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe English isn't their first language?

2|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Cos sometimes you use American slangs and sayings, or sometime these specific people don't know English good enough. It's not that complicated.

1|0
    0|0
  • An American who confirms to the stereotype that "Americans think world revolves around them"

1|0
    0|0
  • Because ESL programs aren’t all the same

1|0
    0|0
  • Lots of time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am Canadian. I can understand.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because it might not be their native tongue.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes