People who follow several hundred other users - why do you do it?

It's something I'm quite curious about?

It must mean that you don't use the alerts system, or perhaps you do, and have to deal with a lot of them each time you login?

What's the appeal, though? People who follow several hundred other users - why do you do it?

84

Most Helpful Girls

• I do not follow people for numbers. I follow someone because I like them, I want to welcome them, I want to show appreciation for an exchange or maybe because their profile is private and I want to see the info on their profile page. Although, I must say that for that last reason, I often do not remember to go back to their profile once they accept the follow. lol!

I only use my computer for G&G except for a few rare occasions of using my phone - which I hate using for this site by the way.

The only notifications I get that are because I follow someone is if the person I follow asks a question or ask a mytake or updates either. So out of the hundred or so people I follow, I only get notifications from ones that post a question/mytake. There is not that many people that do this; it is just the usual suspects.

So the notifications aren't that bad. Since I do not log in regularly, about once a week, I can get about 75 to 100 notifications since the last time I logged in. That can be a bit a tedious but still not that big of deal.

I do wish this site would let me sort my notifications by user and/or by type of notification (comment on a followed question, reply to my post, invited opinion, update to question, etc). But they do not. That is the only real bother with all the notifications I receive.

• I cull my list every so often. Most of my follows are to people who have interested me through so comment or question... or they’re female and I just follow back so my ratio isn’t out of whack :) although.. it’s still out of whack 🙄

Most Helpful Guys

• I only follow 21 people and that number spiked from 16 because I had gotten in great conversations which had us follow each other.

But I tend to unfollow people if I lose interest or they don't post anymore.