People who follow several hundred other users - why do you do it?

It's something I'm quite curious about?

It must mean that you don't use the alerts system, or perhaps you do, and have to deal with a lot of them each time you login?

What's the appeal, though? People who follow several hundred other users - why do you do it?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I do not follow people for numbers. I follow someone because I like them, I want to welcome them, I want to show appreciation for an exchange or maybe because their profile is private and I want to see the info on their profile page. Although, I must say that for that last reason, I often do not remember to go back to their profile once they accept the follow. lol!

I only use my computer for G&G except for a few rare occasions of using my phone - which I hate using for this site by the way.

The only notifications I get that are because I follow someone is if the person I follow asks a question or ask a mytake or updates either. So out of the hundred or so people I follow, I only get notifications from ones that post a question/mytake. There is not that many people that do this; it is just the usual suspects.

So the notifications aren't that bad. Since I do not log in regularly, about once a week, I can get about 75 to 100 notifications since the last time I logged in. That can be a bit a tedious but still not that big of deal.

I do wish this site would let me sort my notifications by user and/or by type of notification (comment on a followed question, reply to my post, invited opinion, update to question, etc). But they do not. That is the only real bother with all the notifications I receive.

0|1
    0|0
  • I cull my list every so often. Most of my follows are to people who have interested me through so comment or question... or they’re female and I just follow back so my ratio isn’t out of whack :) although.. it’s still out of whack 🙄

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I only follow 21 people and that number spiked from 16 because I had gotten in great conversations which had us follow each other.

But I tend to unfollow people if I lose interest or they don't post anymore.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• I imagine for the sake of it. Doing lots of following increases the chances that they get followed back by that number of people and so they become popular on SM and take satisfaction from that. Some people thrive on numbes and impersonal contact.

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel bad for all the people who are made to follow me without them wanting to. I have never seen the point of following anyone.

0|1
    0|1
  • I wonder why as well, I think some people just follow all there followers back to be polite maybe?

0|1
    0|0
  • My guess is the more people they follow the higher probability of someone actually responding

0|1
    0|0
  • Often wondered that myself

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they are trying to get followers back

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• Doesn't gag have a feature where new users are automatically following influencers?

0|1
    0|0
    • It did, yes. I think it caused a lot of problems, so it was updated so now they only follow seven random Influencers. Including any who haven't logged in, in years...

• oh, they changed that? Huh. I didn't know. Thank you.

• Socialize !!!

0|1
    0|0
    • I struggle to believe that people on here, who follow hundreds of people, have ever interacted with many of them...

• i try to
      but not all the 200 are active, i get about 30-60 questions a day
      and this is a proof that i interact when i answered your question in no time

Recommended myTakes