Guys: Take Better Dating Profile Pictures

An online dating profile is your resume letting others get a glimpse of who you are. In this 30 seconds or less age, when people are swiping through perhaps dozens upon dozens of profiles, just like a resume, you need something that grabs a girls attention in those first 30 seconds and makes her want to linger or chat with you. I don't care if you are the greatest wordsmith in the world, if you have some sad lame pictures on your profile, odds are, you're probably going to end up with no takers.

1. A Photo of your face and body

When you meet someone for the first time, you're usually concentrated on their face. If every photo of you is 20 yards away, it's hard for a stranger to make a visual connection with you. Even worse if every photo of you has a hat and sunglasses on like you're in witness protection. We connect with someone via their eyes and smile. Have at least one photo where it's head and shoulders and we can see your eyes.

Conversely if every photo of you is a tight shot of your face, what does your body look like. I don't mean you need a photo of you basking in the sun with your shirt off (though that can help--just saying), but a potential date kind of wants to see what she's working with. No body shots tend to imply you're trying to hide something or lack self confidence. Post at least one shot where you can see you from at least, the waist or knees up.

2. A photo with your friends

Dating is a social thing and people are usually out looking for someone who can socialize and who has friends because on a subconscious level that usually means, you aren't sitting at home alone in your basement all day just playing video games or being a creeper. Take a good photo with your best buddies, or showcase some type of event where you were with a lot of people BUT, you don't want to post the you and 20 other girls shot. Remember, you're trying to appeal to girls, not guys, in how social you are, and you with a bunch of girls can be a total turn off.

3. You and your (real) pet

Pets tend to be catnip (pun intended) for girls. We like a guy who loves his pets. Take an easy going funny picture with your pet. You don't want to be too posy because it can look cheesy like you're trying too hard, but just you playing fetch with your dog, or your cat on your shoulders, or riding your horse, whatever. Make sure though that it's a real photo of your real pet and not just one you borrowed. You don't want to start of being fake just to get girls, because they'll sniff that out.

4. Travel/Volunteering/Exercising/Hobby

If these things are your passion, and better yet you are looking for a girl who shares these interest, by putting them out as feelers, they are going to attract women who may be into the same things or at least find them interesting enough to want to get to know you and to hear about them. You don't want to overdo it with 16 pictures of you volunteering with the orphans in Africa---we get it, you're a good guy, but one snap is good. Also shots of you in an outdoor setting, or working out, or enjoying your favorite hobby tend to always be appealing.

5. You dressed up

We all look good dressed up. One shot of you in a suit or in "I put effort in" attire, works really well in your favor.

Additional Tips

1. Five or six pictures is ideal

2. Take or post photos with good lighting where the images are clear and not grainy, too dark, blown out, or blurry.

3. Be real. Don't post fakes like you next to a bike, and you've never ridden and it's not your bike.

4. Photoshopping out a few pimples is fine, because those are temporary. Photoshopping you to look bigger or smaller than you are, or with more hair, or in front of a green screen backdrop is not going to work because you will have to meet people in real life and may be called out on it.

5. If you find that you've got nothing going on in your life, no hobbies, no friends, no ambition, no dreams, and you can't find photos to illustrate anything going on in your life, maybe it's not the pictures that are holding you back, but your lack of these things that are attractive to the opposite sex.

1138

Most Helpful Girl

• This is so important. I am astounded at some of the pictures guys put up. Some are so blurry or dark you can't even see them properly. There are some that ONLY post group photos so you have to guess who they are (I usually move on and assume they're the unattractive one, rather than try to work it out). They really don't think about how it may appear to someone.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 38

• Good advice. A few of my observations:

1. Women post pictures of themselves with their children or grandchildren. We understand that you are a package deal but we want to date you, not your daughter. Y our primary profile picture should be you. . . just you.

2. Posting a primary picture that shows you when you were a model 120 years ago is lame and pathetic.

3. If every picture is you with the same friends, how are we supposed to know which one is you?

4. On POF (and others sites, I would assume) you can add a caption to each photo. Each of my photos has a date in the caption.

5. If you have 12 photos and 10 of them are from 7-8 years ago. . . what's up with that?

6. WHY IN THE HELL do so many women take a selfie in the ladies' room with stall doors in the background? Really, I see that every day on POF.

7. If every picture shows you scowling or frowning, I'm not taking any chances with you!

8. You post a picture of yourself and some guy has his arm around you. Maybe it's your brother but an explanation would help!

9. Only one photo posted? How important is this to you?

10. Your primary photo looks like you just cleaned house for 8 hours and you look like a mess. . . is that the best you can do?

Best advice: have a friend of the opposite gender - a friend who will be honest with you - look at your profile and give you some candid feedback. You might be surprised at the impression your well intended profile is making on the opposite sex.

• #9 LOL! Your list is good as well. A lot of people are like, I don't "need" to have certain pictures up, but they are the same ones who don't know why they don't get dates. If one is griping in the comments about "having to" post photos, they shouldn't even bother with online dating. None of us likes to post a resume and try to make ourselves seem awesome in a job interview either, but you're there because of the end goal, and that is, in this case, to get a date, have sex, or something long term. It's easy to say to yourself, my pictures should be doing well, but as you suggest, have an actual member of the opposite sex tell you what would make them stop on your profile. A bunch of dudes or a bunch of girls judging the same sex, aren't the best judge b/c they think differently than the opposite sex and what they actually want!

• 2018 is the year that everyone will be competing online for attention. Instagram already has people posting professional photos of themselves just for likes... online dating will not be any different. The world of selfies and blurry pictures are over. Nice Take! Spot on. There is a company in the UK that takes great online dating photos.. they are called HEY Saturday. check them out if you are over there!

• Dating was then, and is now, still a competition. You are competing with other fe/males for dates, and if the goal is zero effort, especially with ones profile and pictures, then one can't expect much. If all a person is going to see is your pictures, then it would only make sense to take good ones because we all know, no one reads profiles UNLESS the photos are good.

• Totally agree.

• Guys, there's only 1 online dating tip that matters - look like this:
    cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...4-8aae-bfa6386f4b45.jpg

• Disagree with #2 completely. She won't be dating my friends, and it is rude to post pics of your friends without their consent.

• The idea is to show your sociability, not for her to date your friends and legally speaking, if the photo was taken in a public space, like a park or on the street, an individual may post your picture without permission as there is no guarantee of your privacy in public spaces (this is why the news may show images of people walking on a downtown street for example), however, I would hope that most would ask first.

• @freakyzeaky Yeah, exactly. People might think online dating is convenient, but I've always considered meeting women in real life to be better. In real life, you're a person for her to actually talk to and learn about. Not some set of pictures that she can instantly judge you on.

• @Kkaos and I know there could be boring dates, but 90% of the time the guy is going to pay. Otherwise he will risk coming off cheap. You have to think, both people are using up their time to date. And it takes time and effort to find the right one most of the time. So why not take that risk, even if he isn't 100% perfect on paper?

Then of course women risk clingy men and stalkers, but they are going to get that no matter how shiny a profile is or how charming the guy was at the bar.

• Retarded advice.

"If you want to attract the right girlfriend, start posting pictures that make you look like a different person than who you actually are. That way she loves you for who you are."

Act like a fake version of yourself, watch how fast you get into a fake relationship with another faker.

• I need to create 20 accounts to hit that thumb up button. Well said.

• Yeah, guys don't care about that kind of shit as much as you girls do:

i.redditmedia.com/...z4PlPI7ytWIksArJuuWrhX5bA.png

• mytake owner has restored to coming up with extremes to try and prove a point. I am talking about people being themselves, and just because I said I didn't want to wear a suit or take a picture with friends means the only other option is sitting alone with cheeto stained clothing? how does your brain even get there? you know what you were suggesting at first and now you are trying to sugar coat it as if I meant that because someone should just be themselves IE not wearing a suit, taking pictures alone, or without pets means that person MUST be some lowlife. This mytake is just what YOU like to see in a picture disguised as a ''be yourself'' topic.

• Very good advice, I do most of those things already, maybe just need one in a suit 😊 but I’ve seen women do worse and the one thing they do that confuses me is when they take it with their friend in the main photo and I can’t tell who is the one that is the one in the profile and a lot of times the fried looks better, lol

• Yeah, there is apparently a lot of confusion with the mention of this. A social photo should be one of the ones you post, but never the main because who are you... person 1 or person 15 in the back row. Main photo should always be a solo and hopefully your best shot of the bunch.

• Yeah if I was the site manager I would reject those as a main pic

• As a straight/heterosexual male, I can obviously tell you that those don’t really make a difference, they are just photos showing hobbies or wealth.

However, from the heterosexual female point of view those hobbies can be a turn on because it shows more about the individual (interests, wealth, social status). This is necessary because either most women aren’t visual when it comes to attraction or it’s just not socially acceptable for guys to take selfies.

• What is so ironic about this Take, is that the pics I posted on my OKCupid profile, match all of the requirements mentioned in this Take!

I met my now-girlfriend a year ago in person for the first time from OKCupid, and our 1yr anniversary is a month away! :-D

• Those seems logic in theory, but I had more luck with only one photo

It seems that the less photos and text you have, the less needy you appear.

• I've had more luck with multiple photos, I find girls tend to instantly think you're fake if you only have one photo.

• @Kkaos Except if you have a price on photography like me! :P

• The whole online dating thing is a fail. No one is really looking for a date anyway, the guys are seeking sex and the girls are seeking validation. It's for failures that can't connect with the people they meet in meat space.
    So the pic is kind of irrelevant, don't you think?

• The pic is no more irrelevant than walking into a bar and looking around and taking your pick. It matters, or else literally no one would care online or IRL what they or others look like. Of course there are websites for sex only, for dating, for marriage purposes, etc, so you can go with whatever route you seek. I do think, however, that you'd be hard pressed to explain to people who met online why you think their relationships or sex their having or marriages they have are failures simply because they met online. These times, they are a' changing.

• The vast majority of online dating sites report poor success with it. So your comment about a relationship being a failure based on how you met isn't relevant. If you have success with it then good for you. Oh, and the more things change the more they stay the same. If you can't connect IRL you go on a dating site and have the same kind of success!

• and vice versa, so it's a moot point.

• coolio

• The only thing that works on tinder is to look hot and muscly, that's it.
    This is all just breadcrumbs for ugly people who will never get a match anyway.

Also #2 is terrible advice.
    Group photos consistently earn the lowest performance score of any photo.
    What they actually do is make you look like you aren't confident.
    You should always look interesting by yourself, not buried in a blurry pic of more attractive people than you.

• Lmao I have a picture of my ass on tinder and still have over 1000 matches.

• Pretty good mytake, Im not online dating but gotta admit I liked what I read. I would like to read more of your mytakes.

• Good advice - The hetro male of the species generally does not put as much thought into their profile and the psychology of it - Possibly we are just evolving at a different rate on this facet and in time will be up to speed.

• This is actually a good take

• I will take your advice

• Makes no difference. Am still ugly

• So useful. I learned a lot from. Thank you.

• I mean, while you got a point, shouldn't it be exciting to "make a better person" out of someone who wasted his potential? Most girls like "fixing" guys right?
    Besides, the guys with bad pictures chose those with some reasoning so if you don't like that reasoning, you probably wouldn't like them even after those guys improved their profile pictures, right?
    Or am I seeing this wrong?

• Improving him by helping him choose better pictures for a dating site?

...

• False advertising implies there is something false about it. If you are lying, then you are lying and that's on you what does or does not happen on these sites b/c of it, however, like I said, it's not about putting something out there that doesn't exist. Do you think most girls have their hair, make-up done, and wear the dresses they post 24/7... no, do I think a guy who posts a suit wears that suit 24/7, no, but do they, can they, have they worn it sometimes just like sometimes they walk around in their underwear with their hair a mess or sometimes they wear jeans and a t, yes. You cannot sum up anyone in 5 pictures. No one goes in with an expectation that you'll learn everything you will ever know about a person in 5 pictures, but if your goal is to date, sex, marry, whatever, and you purposefully go to these sites with that in mind, you have to advertise yourself in the best way possible to attract the most people to you...

• ... and before you can say, there it is, a ha, no one is going to show you there bad bits up front. Even if you met the old fashioned way, you're not showing up to date one looking totally disheveled and out of it... you show up to date one as your best self to make a good impression... why, because you want a second date. A site where photos make your first impression is just that, and what comes next whether you met in person, or through a website, is learning about who that person really is, but in terms of online dating, that will never happen unless you first make a good impression on those viewing your images.

• More from Guys
    18

What Girls Said 10

• Don't forget those terrible selfies where they're lying down on their backs and looking up slightly towards their phones. Congratulations. You have found the least flattering pose possible and you've given yourself at least 17 chins in the process.

• Honestly what would be a good selfie for a guy like me? I'm genuinely asking i'm not trying to be self deprecating, I consider myself to be a 6/10 in terms of natural looks.

• I agree bc the first thing we see is the pic. So if its fuzzy, half taken, only with a bunch of people, or they look sloppy in all of them that's our first impression right there

• I can't even deal with it! A picture is your only chance to make a good first impression! If your picture is crap, I'm not even going to bother looking at your profile. And honestly, I don't want to see pictures of you with your ex! Especially pictures you clearly cropped your ex out of! Its just too funny!

• I agree with everything else but 2. I know it's suppose to make you seem friendly and social, but it could confuse people or accidentally promote your friends to other people. So instead of women wanting to get to know them, they might want to get to know their friends instead. So it's best to just stick with photos of yourself. But yes, dress nicely, pets and hobbies are always nice to show.

• #2 is fine as long as the photo is the last photo.. that way you already know what they look like in the first 5.

• @coachTanthony true i guess.. but for some its a re occurring issue.

• Life sucks... we do our best to get through it... hopefully find some self awareness to change it... and try and be happy for most of it.

• Also, when you're posting groups with your friends... be mindful of the type of woman you're trying to attract. Personally, when I was using dating websites.. I really appreciated it when guys were "show-offs" of the "diversity" of their friends. I don't care how handsome a white guy is... if he hangs out with black guys enough to put them on his dating profile... I knew to stay away. So by all means if you are a diversity-nut.. keep up this trend of outting yourselves. I would hate to go to the trouble of meeting a guy in person and then he introduces me to his rainbow friends. Make it super obvious that you're a libtard on your profiles so that good girls don't waste time on you.

• to be honest i don, think guys take better pics then women do.. Iv seen some womens pictures that look very nice. I think it depends on the person.

• Yup, important to not just post selfies and to show a sense of humour and absolute no photos of your bloody car!

• good tips

• Nice Take

• Pictures are everything on dating apps!