What Are Masculine Traits?

#men

#masculine

After many troubling conversations with a lot of guys here. I began to notice a pattern. So I wanted to create a thread to address a few things.

Apparently, many men at GaG cannot figure out how to define their masculinity independent of women. This creates a huge problem when it comes to understanding women's issues.

Because guys think, they are men only because of their relation to where women are in their lives and/or the amount of power they think women wield, etc. They can't even articulate what they think a man is supposed to stand for. They cannot voice an opinion on what traits and qualities go into being masculine.

Because of that, they can't seem to articulate goals and objectives they want to work towards as men. They can't clearly define the obstacles in their path. The only answer they can give is to blame feminism for their lack of power or for their inability to embrace their manhood. Which is quite disturbing.

So here is my list. Please understand. I am talking about men. Not boys, not jerks, etc.

1. Men treat everyone with respect.

Because of that we are respected.

2. Men are leaders, we are decision making engines.

3. Men move forward constantly. We plan and build.

4. Men are protectors and defenders of their family, friends, and community.

We also protect those who cannot protect themselves.

5. Men are proud...but stubborn much of the time.

6. Men cherish intelligence, reason, and logical thinking.

7. Men are not whiners nor complainers.

We usually just grin and bear it. Even when we are in great physical/emotional pain.

8. Men are serious people, but we can still laugh and have fun.

9. Men love to compete with each other.

10. Men do not like being forced to change.

But if change is reasonable, we will accept it.

11. Men are dependable. We are the rock in our relationships.

12. Men can fight for years with depression.

And then a simple smile from a woman can brighten our entire day.

13. Men don't give up. Our stubbornness drives us.

14. Men like sex.

Yes women, we are extremely attracted to your physical sexiness in all kinds wonderful, strange and bizarre ways. We are visual when it comes to sex. That's just the way it is.

15. Men do the dirty work.

We make the hard decisions. We do the the things no one else wants to because they are necessary.

16. Men think strategically.

We see problems as challenges to be overcome. They are opportunities!

17. Men are not the greatest students.

We don't really "learn" from others very well.

18. Men are not ashamed of being men.

We are not ashamed that we are sexually attracted to women. We are not ashamed of some of the bad traits we have. We can deal with the fact that we are not perfect and we try to become better human beings.

19. Men mature as they age.

They become wiser and less impulsive.

20. Men do not treat the people who are important to them just like everyone else.

This is especially important for women. If you are with a man who does not treat you like you are his most special person. Then you are not his most special person. Nor will you ever be. It is that simple.

21. Men are simple creatures.

We think + or -, left or right. We are binary. Even if that runs contrary to natural law.

22. Men are realists, but not so much that we become pessimists.

23. Men are visionary. We aspire to do great things.

I will allow anonymous for this take. So many folks have problems voicing their opinions on posts that are somewhat "controversial".

#feminism

#womensissues

619

Most Helpful Girl

• Great write up! I think women have the same issue with defining femininity. It's easier to see what you like and try to emulate it than it is to define something without drawing from anywhere.

Now only a man can choose what defines manhood for himself, but it seems that masculinity throughout culture has been defined by a man's ability to set guidelines and rules. His structure for his own existence.

By contrast femininity seems to be more illusive but more defined by how you treat others than by personal barriers, being gentle and kind, happy. But I think there is a disconnect for women because femininity is so elusive that sometimes it's easier to say "oh I like that masculine trait, I'll be that"

• This is absolutely brilliant comment. That's the whole point. Men have to define what a maleness means for ourselves. We have to figure that out on our own. We may not all agree on every trait. But you have to begin with some type of idea.

I think one of the problems with our discussions about equality between the sexes is that many men have thought of their maleness in relation to what they think feminine traits are. That is just problematic.

It is funny, your last comment is exactly what I would say about men. That's why so many men get offended about feminism. Women who are strong and empowered, somehow have stolen their strength and power, because both sexes could not possibly embody these traits.

• I think it comes from having a lack of respectable role models boys that don't have father's tend to default to images of men in power, without ever seeing what respect is how can someone gauge it's value.

Without these ideas of what good people look like it has devolved into "well I like toy trucks I must be a boy" "well I like playing dressup better I must be a girl" people have confused hobbies with gender because the guidelines have been so removed.

I think this started long before my generation and was purposefully enacted. Every coin is two sided, along with the movement against men that got speed in the 80's (though I think the free love period was the first sign) there was an image of women that was portrayed. It was the perfect marketing scheme, portray men as useless and that women have to do everything. Forcing women into the workforce made it reality, they now had to raise kids house and money, the gov made it cheaper to get rid of a man than keep him. Divide and conquer.

• Well, I guess that is about right. We have whole generations of men who are raised by women. Boys don't have a solid role models of men to depend on. So most are pushed to media images, which is a horrible place to look.

But yeah, I kind of agree with most of what you say.

Thanks for posting!

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 5

• None of these qualities are strictly "male" lmao.

• So? What difference does that make? We may share some traits with transsexuals. That doesn't make us less men.

Don't be jealous. Just be confident in being a woman. Let men handle that man thing.

• Karahiri, that is "your" experience. I don't know way more women who embody these traits. I know a lot of women who think they embody these traits. But they do not.

• Yea, personal experience doesn't dictate the external reality of the overall population. That's fine if you happen to know more women than men like that. But on average men tend to hold more masculine traits. Just how it goes. There's nothing to take issue with.

• That doesn't sound like men that sounds like being a confident human being

• And we are not confident human beings?

• Not being a little bitch.

You hit masculinity on the head though! Good job. :)

• you shoulda titled this mytake as "what men should be and act like according to me"

• Yes, that is exactly what the title is. Now it is your turn.

So what do you think men should be like and act like?

media.giphy.com/media/ZTrjA6lKvB7Q4/giphy.gif

• your memes are as shitty as ur debate skills.

• nice take

What Guys Said 18

• I will mount #feminism and make her submit. I am a male.

Who runs the world? Not girls.

Trump, Donld Trump. That's who runs the world.

Nice MyTake by the wsy.

• #24 Men never use labels to try to convey an image/identity for we are self-assured in our own being

I love your views- major Kudos

• Thank you! And thanks for that add. I agree.

• More, thank you. GAG for the most is so cringe-worthy with its views. Particularly from 'boys'. It is a bastion of hope seeing a genuine take underpinned by valid points. Hopefully, people embrace the wisdom. Though, I think I am being delusional by hoping for this :P when most have their heads so far up their asses

• Thanks for that comment.

• Especially true: 1, 14, 21

Sex 👩😍

Yes:
    6, 10, 18, 22

To some degree true:
    2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 13, 20, 23

Also I would strictly advise to beware of toxic masculinity. It is highly destructive and invisibly poisonous!!!

• Toxic feminism exists too. I don't think we have to worry about ourselves more or less than women worry about themselves.

• I agree.
      Especially with toxic feminism aka feminazism. Seems like there are plenty enough of those, who got corrupted by toxic feminism-nazism. Yuck!
      But you know... I'd say just be a man and be who you are ^^

• Firstly, by nature of being men, everything you said is necessary dependent on a comparison to women.

Second, I don't think there's anything wrong with defining masculinity in relation to women because that's the entire point of it, women do the same thing just dialed up to 11.

The difference being that men *only* do it in direct comparison to women and otherwise would really have no issue with gender identity. To my mind they're generally more secure about it aside from *when wondering how women see them.* It's only to attract girls because girls care about that, otherwise guys wouldn't care.

• I don't understand your first statement at all. Which trait is in my list is defined in relation to women.

As yes, it is a bad thing to define yourself as a man based upon what you think women are supposed to be. That's how end up with men embodying non-masculine traits. As for women doing the same thing, that is another point I don't understand. Women do not do the same thing. Perhaps some women embody certain masculine traits. And that is the entire point. Just because some women like competition does not mean that all women are competitors or even want to be.

American society is certainly weird. We can empower women to be independent and give them the incentive to define themselves.

Yet, we can't do the same thing for men.

And men pay the price for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMfyjTV5zbk

• Dude, the only problem here is your inability to understand written English. I am not going to debate simple pronouns such as I, you, and me. That stuff was decided when I was in kindergarten. I have not looked back in 40 years.

I can't teach you basic English. If you can't agree on what words like "I" mean, the conversation is over.

I put together a list of what I thought were traits to be associated with manhood.

Then you took a gigantic dump in your pants and blamed me.

I am not having that. You need to get a mop, a diaper, and some baby powder and clean this stuff up. That ain't my mess down there.

See ya!

• "I am not going to debate simple pronouns such as I, you, and me"
      Those terms are not being questioned.
      See that again you addressed something I didn't even say? Surely you see that?

"what I thought were traits to be associated with manhood."
      That wasn't what I took issue with, it was claiming to define it separately from women.

I'm trying to explain to you that you took a dump in your pants and that it's an impressive feat of foolishness to genuinely believe it was me. That's the level of nonsense you're operating on.

Can't help but notice that you again you've dodged any making or addressing any argument of substance. Masking your floundering won't stop you from floundering. But if you're intent on conceding then cool.

• Great post! I think you really hit the nail on the head with your choices! I think you may want to consider adding the element of self sufficiency.

• Hey add as many as you wish. You can talk about more about what being a man means to you. Your role models and the men you looked up to as a child.

• Bullshit. Everything listed is equally applicable to women.
    Masculine traits are things like leaving the toilet seat up, falling asleep immediately after sex, or refusing to ask for directions when lost.

• Equally applicable? Like wanting to have sex with a woman and looking at women and being turned on by them?

Where do they get these guys?

• how perfect. its only masculine when its a bad thing

• 7d

Great take. I have to say that it made a lot of sense. It is tough to define masculinity and i think you did a good job defining it.

• 7d

I don't know if I did a good job. But I am glad you think so. I just wanted to get everyone to think about what they think masculinity entails. Thanks for your comment!

• Two things I disagree with in this post.

1. There are things a man can not respect in another.

These are things I don't respect in others:
    I don't respect pedophiles, I don't respect those who take advantage of others due to their position. I don't respect people who dont keep their promises. I don't respect people who hurt others for their own self gain.

17. Men can learn good from others, it just depends on how good the teacher is. I've personally learned a lot from wise, old and powerful men in my life who I would call father figures.

• everytime someone describes masculine traits someone will always complain and say 'duh, wymons can do dat toou!"

• Haha!

Yeah. It like they feel insulted or something. It is funny, there are insecure men who spend time in feminist forums and thread whining about how women are doing this or that. And we are experiencing supposed feminists and "beta" males coming here whining about us.

It is like these men's and women's rights activist both want the same thing. For us to be genderless.

Weird stuff.

• Men are also stoic. We separate emotion and reason so we can make informed decisions based on facts, not feelings.

Men are action oriented. We don't sit around thinking how great our lives would be with something. We go and find or make that something.

Men our tough. We can take a hit and keep coming, keep our soft spots hidden, and fight through the pain instead of surrendering to it.

• Kindness and empathy are the most masculine traits I have

• masculinity is not caring about your masculinity

• Men are not the greatest students? I beg to differ lmao. I'm very proud of my GPA bruh 🤓

• I don't mean school necessarily. But hey feel free to disagree and to add your own list of traits as well.

I just want you to think about what you manhood and how it is defined.

• Some of these are redundant and few humans have even half of these. Strategic thinkers? There would be no need for a Suicidal Security system if humans were strategic long-term thinkers.

So many flaws.

• So many flaws? Why not take a crack at talking about masculinity. Unlike you, I won't try to poke holes in what you think being a man is.

The conversation is important, because we have to find out what being male is. . . independent of where women are in our experience.

• I'm writing the response MyTake.

Be patient.

• None of these are bad traits. Men do not need to define themselves independent of women. You can define yourself independent of other people.

• Why you put these hashtags : #feminism #womensissues
    Men don't give a shit about feminism or women issues !
    We rather deal with it individually !!!
    And that's the best real man trait !!!
    Don't define yourself by others.

• Might as well label this "Human Traits"

• I'm lost, maybe because I'm stressed at work and I'm not thinking clearly atm. But you say men blame feminism for not being able to embrace their manhood. Then you made a list to illustrate what a man is, the only Major Problem is... these are all the stuff feminist shit on men for and say is "toxic masculinity " so this Take makes no sense.

• It makes absolute sense. Why do you care what feminists say about you?

Does it hurt so much?

If it does. . . maybe your problems are not about them. Got it?

• I hope you're not 45 because you are one insecure guy judging from this Take and your replies 😂

• No, you are the child who simply wanted some attention.

Go back to pornhub.

Bye!