Female Chauvinism

"If I were a man, I would strenuously object to the assumption that women have any moral or spiritual superiority as a class. This is [...] female chauvinism."

Betty Frieden, "It Changed My Life: Writings on the Women's Movement"

Betty Frieden was one of the most important women's rights activists and writers of the 20th century. Yet she also urged men to object when anyone claimed that women -- as a group -- were morally or spiritually superior.

I often see examples of female chauvinism on this site, such as claims that women are automatically more nurturing, loving or better communicators than men are. And I wonder if women who say such things realize that they're chauvinist and sexist.

When a man can be caring or gentle, that's described as his "feminine side." Why do many people believe that women have a sole right to being caring and gentle?

Yet when a woman wins an Olympic gold medal, she's not described as expressing her "masculine side." She's praised for her ability, and sometimes for representing the potential of other women. Why are individual achievement seen as both male and female traits?

Any other thoughts?
Female Chauvinism
3
3