I don't know what he wants from our relationship- friend, friends-with-benefits, dating?

My guy friend and I have known each other forever and are really close friends. There's always been a sexual undercurrent to our friendship. We hang out a lot but we've never been an actual couple. We've both had long-term relationships over the years and remained good friends. But, every now and then, when we're both single, he'll make a move and, depending on mood, I'll say no, or yes and we'll fool around. We've never slept together and he always says it can't happen again the next day.
The confusing thing is that it keeps happening and he is firmly against us being friends with benefits (he's had other FWBs), but it's kind of hard to go back to just being friends each time.
I'm confused about what the heck he wants. If he wants us to be just friends, why keep making the move? If he wants us to date, why doesn't he just ask me or say something before/after we fool around?
2
0