Why do men put so much emphasis on women's appearance?

A lot of men will bring up the way a woman looks even if the topic is literally irrelevant. Why is that? For instance all of the constant disses towards congress woman Janet Reno's appearance is an example.

516

Most Helpful Guy

• You are making the same mistake here that many people make, which is to blame this on men when in fact women are far more to blame for it. Women judge other women's looks much more than men do.

Regarding Janet Reno, I have never heard a man dis her looks but I've sure heard a lot of women do it.

Women are brutally critical of other women.

• Thanks for teaching me a lesson, I can agree with you on in many ways on both things you mentioned. Yet usually women criticize each other based on what they believe men find desirable. When it comes to men dissing Janet Reno, I never knew that it was mostly women doing it, so thanks for letting me know that. Yet why do many men heavily diss Rosie O'Donell or Ann Coulter's appearances in the media and just frequently online in comments?

• I don't know why that is. I haven't seen it but I don't doubt it happens. I guess some people, men and women, are just mean.

Most Helpful Girl

• people do that in general get used to it haha... men and women. we just are attracted to good looking people because good looking means successful which is totally not true but thats society and its how it works

• also women mostly get ready to impress other women which i dont understnad but women care more about other girls opinions than guys... we dont diet for guys we diet for other girls or so is the saying

• Very well put and vividly the truth, thank you for breaking it down for me. :)

• no problem :)