Why do men put so much emphasis on women's appearance?

A lot of men will bring up the way a woman looks even if the topic is literally irrelevant. Why is that? For instance all of the constant disses towards congress woman Janet Reno's appearance is an example.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You are making the same mistake here that many people make, which is to blame this on men when in fact women are far more to blame for it. Women judge other women's looks much more than men do.

Regarding Janet Reno, I have never heard a man dis her looks but I've sure heard a lot of women do it.

Women are brutally critical of other women.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for teaching me a lesson, I can agree with you on in many ways on both things you mentioned. Yet usually women criticize each other based on what they believe men find desirable. When it comes to men dissing Janet Reno, I never knew that it was mostly women doing it, so thanks for letting me know that. Yet why do many men heavily diss Rosie O'Donell or Ann Coulter's appearances in the media and just frequently online in comments?

• I don't know why that is. I haven't seen it but I don't doubt it happens. I guess some people, men and women, are just mean.

Most Helpful Girl

• people do that in general get used to it haha... men and women. we just are attracted to good looking people because good looking means successful which is totally not true but thats society and its how it works

0|0
    0|0
    • also women mostly get ready to impress other women which i dont understnad but women care more about other girls opinions than guys... we dont diet for guys we diet for other girls or so is the saying

• Show All
    • Very well put and vividly the truth, thank you for breaking it down for me. :)

• no problem :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• It is a cultural error. People tend to have the mindset that if a female is not attractive to them, then she is less valuable as a person.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's very true but how come women who are attractive still aren't taken seriously when saying something important?

• Show All
    • People simply grow up to believe that females are subservient to "Men". It stems from the belief that females are "emotional" and "not logical".

• @Mesonfielde makes sense, I can't argue with that. Upbringing is always an endless battle on its own.

• That's BS, women themselves put all of the emphasis in their own appearance. Any guy would be happy to see their girl in his own clothes without any make up as far as I know.

1|1
    0|0
    • Yes you're right but does whether the girl is pretty or not effect the guy's judgements of the girl being plainly done? Do guys get upset if the girl isn't as pretty without makeup on or are they just happy for the truth?

• Because whether people want to or not, we all judge based on looks. Consciously and subconsciously. Even you do.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes you're right, that's a good point. It is human nature and yes I am guilty of it too. Yet thinking about politics for instance, if you take Sarah Palin, most of the time many men don't put much emphasis on what she has to say. It's just all about how beautiful she looks, where as if a man regardless of how he looks, says something, his appearance is never mentioned.

• Show All
    • Nixon wound up being a victim to that when he ran against the dashing Mr. Kennedy :) (he was advised to wear some make up for televised debates, but he dismissed it as too gay)

• Many of us do. I will say that looks are superficial. While so many women are emphasizing their looks, They are doing nothing to make sure they are a good catch with regard to the types if people they are. In time, Looks will begin to fade and all a person is left with is what's on the inside. This is what people will have to deal with in later years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because their penis responds faster & more than their brains.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's a very common answer but how come they don't shift their focus some how to what's relevant?

• Show All
    • The consequences can be horrible but I have no right to judge especially on issues that I can't relate to, so I apologize.

• it's ok lol.

• I don't have high maintenance for a girls appearance

i seriously want girl whose got a great personality

0|0
    0|0
  • Janet Reno is just an overall authoritarian bitch, and I don't know why other guys do it. I mean, I do know, but it takes too long to explain. It has to do with the nature of men and women.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes, Janet Reno doesn't seem like she has a very "neutral" personality from what is seen and yes nature is very tedious to explain, but do you think that her non ideal looks are part of the reason why her personality is described as strongly irritating? Would she be less regarded as so if she looked like Sarah Palin or would she still be critiqued physically anyways? :)

• Idiots might tie together her looks and her personality, but I think she is irritating to people for other reasons. As for Sarah Palin, well, she has still been widely criticized despite her looks (even though I don't think she a anything special).

• Because it's really, really, really, really, really important.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why? :)

• Show All
    • Hmmm, that's a tough question. The guys in your age group measure girls based on their looks. Their other qualities (personality) are either pluses or minuses. So when you say a girl is funny or laid-back, that doesn't really register on our scale of desirability. It's a plus for sure, but at that age all that really matters is if she's hot or not. So while you say so-and-so is funny, you might be stating it matter-of-factly, we interpret it as "would you date/sleep with her?". To which we'd respond with "ya, she's hot" (i. e. ya we'd date/sleep with her) or "but she's not hot" (i. e. we wouldn't date/sleep with her). To a lot of teenaged guys where looks at set a premium, all personality traits are interpreted through the lenses of looks.

• I never knew this, I'm very humbled. Thanks for clarifying that. :)

• I think girls are FAR more superficial than guys

0|0
    0|0
  • It's genetical, men are more susceptible to visual impressions

0|0
    0|0
  • Our DNA says "Lets spread your seeds to the baddest bitches that we can."

0|0
    1|0
    • even if YOUR not a bad bitch?

• @Awsdrd1990 Yes. Women feel the same way about hot guys.

• Reno is horrible, like most liberials. Sarah Palin is hot and cares about this country.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women do it too, so why make men look bad?

0|0
    0|0
  • As a female there was a chance that she could be attractive, but then when she's not then guys will comment, or if she was they'd comment too. It seems like we're judging women based solely on their appearance and feminists tend to get mad, but think of it like all guys are ugly and we don't care, whereas women could be ugly or not. It's more like women had a chance to be attractive on top of their skills and when they aren't they basically become the same as men.

0|0
    0|0
  • The same reason women put emphasis on how much he makes and how good his social skills are, that's just how it wound up to be in how each perceives attractiveness. Women wound up with looks, men wound up with social skills and money

1|0
    0|0
    • I can't disagree that's very true, but are the reasons for why both genders want these contrasting traits clear or are they simply something that nobody will ever really know? :)

• Show All
    • Very simply put, thank you. :)

• You mean to say that men albo choose their employees based on how fertile they seem? ;) Sexism IS natural, and so is xenophobia, but in professional situations (and that includes judging public officials on their performance) we should divorce from those primal instincts a bit and see these people for what they contribute to the community.

What Girls Said 4

• Psychology tells us that men are generally more attracted to appearance, whereas females are more attracted to personality. But keep in mind that psychology also tells us that emotional closeness can attract men to a girl more than appearance can. Companionship is a strong emotion.

Source: Social Psychology, 7th Edition

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because of society's "beauty standards" are engrained in their minds. Maybe I'm wrong... I don't know... But that's just a thought. 😏

0|0
    0|0
    • That's still a good suggestion though and regardless of other motives it's still part of the reason. :)

• It's so stupid. Anytime I mention a girl being funny or smart a guy will either say "yeah she's hot" or "yeah but she's not hot" like it matters. It doesn't because that's has nothing to do both what I'm talking about

0|0
    0|0
    • Exactly! That's what in just don't get

• Thanks for putting it that way, it's a way better example. :)

• Thats the only thing they see

0|0
    0|0
    • That's true but why don't they shift their focus onto what's being said? :)

• Bc they are visual they would choose the hottest girl always , what can we do , they only fall in love for you when they really get to know you :)

Recommended myTakes