Why does he lie about things that are pointless to lie about?

I am really confused. I really like this guy but he seems to lie to me and I don't understand why because he lies about stuff you don't need to lie about. For example, we both work together and his best friend works with us too. I found out that a girl that was in one of my classes knew his best friend and I thought since they were friends that he would know her too but when I asked him about her, he said he didn't know who she was. But when I went on Twitter, I found that they are friends and it seems like he took her to prom a couple years ago. Another example is when I was talking to him and I told him that I don't drink or smoke or do anything, he said that he didn't either. However, again on his Twitter I saw that he retweeted something about drinking and smoking.

Why do you think that he does this?

11