Why doesn't my boyfriend like gifts?

so i'm not rich or anything, actually , i never really have money lol but when i do finally get paid and i go somewhere and see things that my boyfriend might like i get them for him, and of course on holidays Valentine's, Christmas, etc i buy him stuff, me and him are the exact opposite, i come from rags he comes from riches.. but he's in college right now and doesn't have a job, at first i assumed he was just being an asshole when he wouldn't buy me stuff, but i'm not really a person who expects gifts and stuff, when i buy him things it's not because i want something back, but because i want to see him happy , even small things like his favorite candy, just to see a smile, well , on Valentine's i got him these plushies that were a bit expensive and he liked them yeah , but he was very bummed out, so he just kind of stopped and told me "look the reason i haven't gotten you anything isn't because i don''t want to.. but i'm just really short on money right now" and that made me feel like shit because sometimes i joke around with him like on Valentine's "i want flowers and candy and a giant bear and a car " JOKINGLY. is it a pride thing? should i stop buying him stuff? he just gets so depressed when i try and do anything for him, when i'm sapossed to be there for him? what do i do?

1021

Most Helpful Guy

• You should talk to him about your feelings :p And maybe before that, you should google 'languages of love.' (or you can do it with him!) It's not the one true way things work, but it gives you a good framework for a discussion about how you show affection, and what sorts of affection you like to get.

I don't know if I would feel comfortable getting things, but... if I knew that's how my gf liked to show affection to me, I'd accept it. I might make sure to direct her to things I particularly like ;) So talk to him. Let him know it's a way of saying "I like you :)" Let him know that it's okay if he shows affection to you in other ways.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I can see how this Q might be so embarrassing one would have to go ANON to ask it... oh, brother... well, my defensive mode is to follow suit. ugh

He's a guy that's USED to gifts past and has found them lacking, a waste of money, mostly NOT what he wants and often a substitute for love. So if HE buys YOU something, it's really nothing to him. However when YOU buy HIM something, it only some big deal for you, a sacrifice, an act of love... that he will never get due to his past conditioning.

Since you are like me... a thoughtful gift giver... and this does = love thoughts, then with this guy, those items must be less expensive (easier to match in return or dismiss) and selected only on trails of love, thoughtfulness.

Think simple daily "vacations" as best "gifts"
    e. g. muscles hurting = massage
    thirsty = new thoughtful refreshment with his favs
    etc.