Does anybody else hate the term "man up"?

It is the most worthless, moronic phrase to tell somebody with issues. Man up, wtf does that even mean? How does that help somebody with low self-esteem, or social anxiety, or depression, or even all three? That's like telling somebody that sucks at art that they need to be better, just that, nothing else, no advice, no tips. What even constitutes manning up, what, becoming a sociopath and losing all emotion while becoming completely selfish? Becoming some over masculine and possibly closeted action-hero type facade? He'll, for all I know it means going psycho and just shooting up a school. What a stupid phrase indeed.

27

Most Helpful Girl

• What is the problem with that? It's criticism like any other phrase, criticism helps people became better. It doesn't mean to go to the other extreme.

• Because it's basically insulting someone instead of actual giving them the emotional support they probably need. When you just tell someone to grow some balls they usually just end up fucked up, wanna know how I started interpreting man-up after a while? "Go and hurt as many people as possible", and that's because I never got actual help, it got bad enough that I began wondering if it was worth going to prison or even dying. Believe me, that phrase is a worthless shitty phrase.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is indeed a daft phrase. No man needs to man up, even a sissy. It is an insult designed to make a guy feel he is lesser of a man than what the ideal man is according to societal standards.

In actuality, when verbalized, causes a detrimental effect on a guys with low self-esteem. They eventually turn violent from all the latent bitterness of feeling inadequate about themselves. So they unlesh it upon society for they feel that they need to "punish" society for doing that to them. Which is also wrong on their part.

Nonetheless for me, I personally feel kind words are the way to go. It has more convincing influence over telling someone to man up.

• Exactly, imagine how many real mass shooters wouldn't have wound up so fucked up had they gotten actual help rather than fucking "man up"?

• Many people in society are stupid. They think that by telling others to "grow some balls" or "man up" can cause people to be more musculine.
      They don't seem to realize what these individuals need is emotional support.

But my friend, we live in a world of f*ck tards who speak before giving thought to their words. So we just got to accept that society is this way, and adapt to the environment. Next time someone tells you to "grow some balls" or "man up", pull out a dummy gun and put it to his face and see if he is able to exercise what he preaches or if he ends up trembling in fear. LoL.