Why do some men play mind games with their ex?

My ex and I broke up 2 weeks ago and I still wanted to be with him but he needed time to think and then 2 days later said he didn't love me and didn't want to be with me.

Another 2 days later he texts me to say he sorry for being an asshole and then calls me to say he still has feelings for me then hangs up on me and I tried calling back but he wouldn't answer. so I wait 3 days then text him again but he doesn't reply.

Finally I give up and I delete his number and then 5 days later which was just yesterday he calls me to say he still loves me and asking me I still want to be with him and I said that I do and I asked him what he wanted and he said he does want to be with me and that he has been thinking of me and we just talked about a lot of things and laughed and then when we were about to hang up I asked him so are we together he said "figure it out" and hung up, I text him afterwards about sending me a picture and he said sure but never did. So I text him last night at 9:30 and he never replied.

I hate it because I was doing fine then he had to call me and now I'm back to feeling hurt.

Is he playing mind games with me or does he really want to be with me.

10