How many of you grew up w/o ur father?

Now that i look back, i really needed my father in my life, im only 18 but its been almost 11 years since my father passed. anyways my point is, to those who have been in my shoes, how do u think the absence of dad affected your life? I just wanna see what u have to say.
I dont realy think i had a father figure groowing up too :(...

27

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I don't know how much I needed my dad in my life, but it was around the same time as you - almost 11 years ago. I really don't know if he would have accepted me, he seemed nice but I don't know. My mom though is really hardworking and a great person so I'm just glad that I have her as a parent.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not in the same situation; my biological father walked out of our lives when i was 12 but I already had a good stepfather then.

The biggest effect I would expect would be that you haven't had a father figure. You may have replaced him with another male role model though.

My fiancee has four kids from her previous marriage. The second-oldest son tends to look to the oldest son as a role model. In this case it's not a good thing because the oldest is self-centered and nearly incapable of empathy. Since I've been in the picture I've been trying to provide a good example for all of the boys. I think it's rubbed off somewhat.

If you're worried about not knowing what a man should do in a given situation, you might consider looking for a mentor, an older man that you can respect and look up to.