How many of you grew up w/o ur father?

Now that i look back, i really needed my father in my life, im only 18 but its been almost 11 years since my father passed. anyways my point is, to those who have been in my shoes, how do u think the absence of dad affected your life? I just wanna see what u have to say.
Updates:
I dont realy think i had a father figure groowing up too :(...

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I don't know how much I needed my dad in my life, but it was around the same time as you - almost 11 years ago. I really don't know if he would have accepted me, he seemed nice but I don't know. My mom though is really hardworking and a great person so I'm just glad that I have her as a parent.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not in the same situation; my biological father walked out of our lives when i was 12 but I already had a good stepfather then.

The biggest effect I would expect would be that you haven't had a father figure. You may have replaced him with another male role model though.

My fiancee has four kids from her previous marriage. The second-oldest son tends to look to the oldest son as a role model. In this case it's not a good thing because the oldest is self-centered and nearly incapable of empathy. Since I've been in the picture I've been trying to provide a good example for all of the boys. I think it's rubbed off somewhat.

If you're worried about not knowing what a man should do in a given situation, you might consider looking for a mentor, an older man that you can respect and look up to.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• Well, my dad technically was there sometimes. My parents were "together, but never got married or lived together and he's lived out of town for most of my life. I feel like I would have better relationships with guys to be honest if he had've been around to actually raise me instead of just here or there. It's hard to know to how to be around men when you don't have a proper father figure though.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• I am glad that I did grow up with a father, but I have thought many times about what life would be like if I didn't. I can't really imagine.

I might be dead. Keep struggling, mate.

0|0
    0|0
  • Me, sadly. He isn't dead but is in the military so I don't see him like I should.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents divorced when I was 5, and my dad popped into my life once every 5 years or so. I went through 2 step dad's between 5 and 18, one was an abusive bastard to my mom, but pretty good to me and the other pretty good for my mom and an abusive bastard to me (he actually pulled a revolver on me). How did it effect me? Hard to judge as I didn't know anything else. I am probably pretty cynical, but not bitter. I am more willing to work towards a strong relationship, and appreciate what my mom did for me. Other than that hard to say.

0|1
    0|0
  • Most certainly in someways for the better sure it sucked for years and I had extreme emotional issues because of it being only 4 at the time I handled it the few ways I knew how with music and anger but as I got older I came to grips with it and now am stronger because of it and can handle issues that might be big in others eyes easily being able to see the bigger picture and understanding how small they really are.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did, but it didn't have an effect on me. I did just fine without one. Perhaps I could've learned a bit more masculinity sooner than what I did, but it's hard to tell one way or another. No point in worrying now though, because I've got it going on just fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • So basically, how many of you are black?

0|0
    0|3
    • no, mate i think you got the question wrong. Im not black by the way

Recommended myTakes