How do I get over being fooled by a sociopath?

I am looking for some advice on how to deal with being fooled by a sociopath. To cut a long story shot a long lost friend got in touch with me some months ago. He lives abroad, so we communicate online. For a few months he was so kind and caring towards me, almost too good to be true but then started to be possessive and trying to control me. It didn’t matter how much attention I gave to him, he always wanted more and constantly complained that I did not give him enough attention or care enough about him. Then he started to insult everything I said and called me pathetic and selfish. He also tried to control me and wanted to know where I was, with whom and what I was doing at all times. However much I tried to please him he continued to insult me and became really horrible. He did it again a few days ago and foolishly I apologised as I always do. Instead of accepting my apology as he usually does, he completely ignored me. I text him the following day, which was also ignored. After looking this up on the internet, I have come to realise that I seem to have been taken in by a sociopath. It follows the classic routine of idealise, devalue, and discard. I feel like such an idiot, however despite the way he treated me, I miss him and it hurts. Despite ignoring me, he has not deleted me from any of his social media accounts. Can anyone advise how I should deal with the situation?

14

Most Helpful Guy

• Start by deleting him from your accounts and your life! Too many people fall into the cycle, soon he may come around apologise profusely, and start the cycle all over again, remember that is ALL it is a cycle, it is not real and it is up to you to break it.

I recently broke up with someone similar to this, and I guess some of the best advice came from my dad. He said be thankful you found out about it now, rather than in a few years after you were married and had kids. He was absolutely right!

Also, don't assume that every guy who may seem too good to be true is going to be like this. There are many of us ACTUAL nice guys out there, its just the sociopaths imitate us at first to lure you in. Find an actual nice guy, you won't regret it ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• https://www.psychopathfree.com/content.php
    The articles helped me so much. There is also a forum I joined on the site that helped. I went through the same thing, It basically destroyed me.

I am so sorry this happened to you. It was not your fault. Please check out the site.

Here is a particularly helpful article
    https://www.psychopathfree.com/content.php?324-Top-10-Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Relationships-with-Psychopaths-Narcissists