He is frustrating and confusing the fuck out of me! Why tell someone you love them & then disappear?

Short version - I told him Im in love with him, we talk he disappears for 2weeks
He comes back around tells me he loves me while hugging me for a really long time but also tells me his relationships fail because he doesn't know how to be in love or love because its something he's never experienced but always wanted...
& then boom immediately after that conversation he left & haven't heard from him since... its been 4 days.. why does he do this? I mean why tell me you love me (he was literally crying when he told me) and then disappear... I'm trying not to be selfish but I feel like that's what he's being..

01