Why do guys not want to be friends with a girl if he thinks/knows it won't lead to more?

Like what's the deal? I see so many guys on here asking if they should "waste their time" being friends with a girl who's not interested romantically or has a boyfriend already. Like really, can they not just be friends without wanting it to turn into more?

This situation doesn't apply to me, was just wondering about any possible reasons behind it happening.

011

Most Helpful Guy

• This usually occur when the guy goes into the friendship hoping for it to one day escalate into a relationship. However when the girl tells him that she doesn't want a relationship with HIM, then the guy's entire reason for befriending her in the first place becomes moot and he see no reason to continue.

Another reason he wouldn't stay friends is because it's much harder to get over someone emotionally when you continue to be friends with them. Remaining friends with someone who you like but they don't like you back is torture, especially when that someone eventually finds a BF/GF and you're forced to stand on the sideline and witness it all go down.