Normal husband behavior or verbally abusive?

My husband tells me I'm stupid, dumb, fat, and a whore when he's mad at me. I'm definitely not a whore. He accuses me and my boss of having a relationship. It's strictly professional. Are these normal things for a man to tell his wife while fighting?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• He has a bad temper to be sure. Some people lash out strongly when they are mad in order to hurt the other person or keep from getting hurt. Tell him you know he gets mad sometimes but his extreme anger leaves you hurting for much longer than the fight. If this is a new thing try asking him if there is something else he is really upset about (it is usually the case with new behavior), and no matter what he tells you try not to overreact, otherwise he won't want to tell you things in the future.

• This is excellent advice. No, unfortunately this is not new behavior. Thank you so much for your perspective.