Why do 'nice guys' act like they should be rewarded for acting like decent human beings?

I don't understand why a person would think being nice equals to being a special snowflake.

Wow, you treat me like how all my friends and family treat me, and you think I should fall be head over heels for you?

524

Most Helpful Guy

• hey, yes the main issue is due to what these guys are grown up believing. It's important as a woman that instead of chastising them, you educate them on how to properly attract you. Guys (including myself for a time) were brought up with the belief that you if you were nice enough with a girl, and did enough nice things for her, you would build up credits which you could check in at some point and get her to fall for you. If you want a better class of men to date, don't resolve yourself to blaming men. Do something about it by trying to educate them on the right way

• Agree with this. Note as well that most of the guys who are in this nice-guy trap are actually guys who genuinely want and are trying to do the right thing. There's hope for them.

If they were actual narcissist jerks, they'd abandon 'nice guy' by about age 14 if not earlier when it's obvious it doesn't work to get what they want.

• When women try talking to them, they don't want to hear it. I've clearly seen and shown to you that these men have a deeper issue than just being 'poorly educated'.

• what you are presenting before me does happen, but its anecdotal. It's similar to people who think all white people are racist because they had a bad experience with one white guy. The truth is that you don't really know how many guys you are re-educating when you actually make an attempt and try. For every guy who doesn't accept the advice, there could be 2 - 3 that do take it. I was one of the people who got re-educated, in part thanks to some women showing me the right way. My belief is that if you aren't part of the solution, you're likely part of the problem. Which is why when i see guys who seem to not quite "get it" on here or elsewhere, I do what I can to set the record straight. Oftentimes, the guy you're addressing may not agree with you, but other guys watching, observing, listening are rethinking the old models they've clung to for ages. One post to one user can act as many posts to many users. That's the take home message here

Most Helpful Girl

• Apparently they've grown up thinking that's what works. However, haven't we all been told falsehoods about the opposite sex, dating, relationships, and love etc? I know I sure did not have it all figured out when I first started. I had plenty of misconceptions about what guys wanted. No one sat me down and explained it all. You learn through observation and experience though. Through bettering yourself and making changes to how you do things to get the result you want.

It doesn't seem like they're doing that though; they're stuck in stasis complaining about their lack of success, and blaming it on women supposedly not wanting nice guys. And that's not an attack on them, just an observation. Their time's better spent changing their approach and learning how to be attractive to women rather than wondering why just being nice is not enough.

• Agree with this.

I'll note that I was brought up NOT ONLY being told that 'nice' was the primary thing girls wanted, it was emphasized that this was what 'nice' girls wanted. It was suggested that girls who cared primarily about looks or status were sort of flakey, and not to be taken seriously. So it's not just that they think 'all women like nice guys', they've actually been set up to think 'any women who don't care primarily about personality and being nice are terrible sluts'. And then every woman they meet is apparently this wrong sort of girl, apart from a few asexuals. I think most do eventually move past what they were taught, but it's quite the brainwashing.

I would compare it to girls being told that basically any guy who loves you is happy without sex.

Basically people will tell kids anything that discourages them from actually connecting with someone who might actually want to have sex with them.

• Yeah, it's really messing everything up. I remember those days of thinking a guy doesn't really love you if he can't accept that you don't want to have sex. Or that a guy who really likes you won't want to be sexual with you. That guys who do are only after sex. Not to mention all the sexual things I thought were "wrong" and not done in a loving relationship. Didn't quite stop hormones lol, but we have to get out of that way of thinking. Sooner rather than later. It's self-sabotaging.