Why does he act prtective of me?

This friend of mine and I have a thing for a couple months now. We haven't talked about what we exactly are. friends with benefits or in a relationship? We have only made out so far, nothing more than that. Recently i've realised some different behaviour in him. For example, i told him that my dad was in my hometown without visiting me and he got completely upset about it e. g. calling him names and stuff.
Another thing i noticed was that he doesn't kiss me that aggressively anymore and he's always ruffling my hair and kissing my cheek and forehead and i'm just a little confused.
Why does he suddenly act protective of me? Or what does his behaviour mean?

10