What does it mean when a guy hesitates calling you a friend and stops flirting with other female friends when your around?

I am just curious because I do not see any reason why he couldn't be comfortable anymore flirting with that other girl... when i just sat down near them , he did seem conferble with looking at other girls just not the low-key flirting and i am wonder what this means, He went from clearly checking me out a while back to suddenly ignoring me to because some the same female friend he was low-key flirting with now asked him what was going on with me and him back then, now he talks normal to me again and calls me a friend but hesitates when saying the word "friend" on top of that it is well known he has interest this really popular girl from an other class and is but still told enough of his problems to try make me care as much as i used to for him again, All this is odd and he is an guy friend but makes me think he is not at times, I just don't know what to think
a little help?
0
1