What's up with a guy who keeps contacting me that I dated a year ago?

I had a great relationship with a guy that I was very in love with a year ago. We dated for about 3 months and he was head over heels in love with me and treated me very good - the beautiful things that he did for me were what made me fall in love with him. In the third month, we both mutually agreed to not see each other because I started noticing that he had issues which included a bad temper, issues of self esteem (saying he was not good enough for me) and whenever I talked about feelings he would want to run; each time we took a step closer together, he would take 10 steps back. Apparently this had been an issue in the past for him and he has cheated on each person he has ever been with (except me)... his childhood was hard without his dad in his life. We tried being friends - but each time we would grow closer as friends he would say he couldn't provide me with the type of friendship that I was looking for. This contiued on for months. Fast forward to today - he still contacts me... usually every few months... the last time he commented that a picture I had posted on my social media was very nice. He converses with me and obviously is checking out my profile, as I am not friends with him on the social media site. We talk for a night, then he disappears again until I hear from him in the next few months. He always brings up the fact that he wonders if we could ever make it together, but then leaves as fast as he comes into my life again. I am so confused - I do really like him and am very attracted to him - but it hurts when he I just start moving on with my life and then bang, there he is again giving me compliments and then leaving again. What do I do with this guy and why is he doing this? What's going on in his mind? Does he still like me and want to be with me, but is just too messed up from his past to have anything normal with me ever? I have to see him usually once per week in the same social circles... help!
0
1