"You're too good to me and I don't deserve you"? Is it more likely that a guy means it, or that he's lost interest but is trying to be nice about it?

If a guy says this to a girl but in the past has said he loves her and would love to be with her several times, is this really how he feels? Could he just be playing the old "it's not you, it's me" trick because he's lost interest? What would a guy most likely mean by this?

Typically I try to take what men say at face value because they're usually direct and mean what they say, but sometimes if they no longer care for a girl, they try to be a nice guy about it. I'm just trying to gain some perspective.
0
2