What Should I Do?

There's this guy in my grade who keeps acting like a jerk to me. He's nice only when we're alone, and even a little flirty. But, whenever he's with his friends, he's someone entirely different. He begins to make fun of me and say rude things to the point where I'm almost crying (such as that I'm "retarded" and "have no friends"). I've tried numerous times to become friends with him (because perhaps I'm the one doing something wrong), but no matter how carefully I try to not give him a reason to act like her hates me, he always has something rude to say. In fact, today, he said that I have my boyfriend herpes (by the way, I did not. I am aware that this is a childish joke. However, I do not find this to be even remotely funny, because all of his friends are making fun of me for that now). He and I have an on-and-off friendship and I always find a reason to blame myself, and then I convince myself that I should remain friends with him, no matter how mean he has been to me. But, starting earlier today, I have drawn the line. I've begun to ignore him (because I don't know what else I can do to hurt him) and he keeps apologizing for being so rude. I do not believe his apologies are sincere at all, and he's treating our friendship as a joke. I feel like ignoring him is a bit immature, so should I tell him that I don't want to be friends with him? How can I make him stop being so mean to me? Should I remain friends with him? Any ways to hurt him as much as he has hurt me (NOT physically)? Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks :)
What Should I Do?
Add Opinion