Why do some guys make things so awkward around girls they like & who like them in return? I don't even know how to act anymore?

We are both in college. Kinda both heavy in our studies and so I don't think he has had much experience with girls. Actually I know he hasn't. His behavior is definitely not of an experienced guy. And I've stalked his fb and have only seen him with a girl that was over a year ago and they looked really happy.

Anyways, I've been trying to see him and flirt with him and get to know him, but it's like I'm partially freaking him out, yet I know he's interested because his behavior signifies he is. And I know he is physically attracted to me. Yet, he's making it impossible and it feels almost immature in how it's developing because I'm trying to get things rolling and I'm giving him space, yet he's just kinda really nervous and when it became clear I liked him more than a friend he started acting super awkward around me, and honestly I don't even know if he's interested yet I'm pretty sure he is. His behavior is just so weird. Will he come around if I just back off for a few weeks?
3
1