Guys, why would these guys do this?

In one of my classes, I came in late and I didn't have a place to sit so one of the guys (who I dislike because he's arrogant by showing off how smart he is) gave up his for me. After that, a group of guys were like "she's way out of your league!" And this guy dropped hints about liking me before (he stared at me with a dazed look, tried to chat me a few times, etc.) and he does not hang out with this group of guys as far as I know (because he's a computer nerd and these guys are idiot jocks) and the nerd gave off the impression being shy around crushes. But I feel bad for the nerd looking back on the event (at the time I mostly embarrassed for myself). I feel confident the nerd lost interest in me (if he had any to begin with) but I still can't help but think that he did, and feel bad when thinking about the event because I don't understand why those jocks would pull such a jackass move. I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just to vent, but feel free to leave comments or advice.
Guys, why would these guys do this?
Add Opinion