What does it mean when a close guy friend (I've known him for years) starts to touch you and try to get close with you physically all of a sudden?

I was hanging out alone with one of my guy family friends in his basement like we always do but this time he started doing small cute gestures like putting his hand on my thigh and intertwining his legs with mine and stuff. We were just watching TV and it was nothing weird but he started to do really coupley things like lying his head on my shoulder and running his hand under my shirt (no boobs) and acting really lazy and playing with my fingers. We also (kinda?) snuggled and I was lying on his chest with his arms around me and he started ear nibbling me. I've literally known him since I was 4 and we're sixteen now but he's never done anything like this before. One possible explanation may be that he just wanted physical contact with a girl and I was the only one he could do it with? Guys, what does this mean, and girls, has anything like this ever happened to you? thanks <3

ps just to clarify it was nothing sexual, but just more touching than he's ever done with me
5
2