I am confused and not sure what to do. I am lost and scared. Can friends with benefits really turn into love and forever?

History:Met in 6th grade we were close lost contact for 17+ years reconnected. Went on a date. Told me he lacked emotions in ability to love and commit so I knew this going in and continued. We became friends with benefits. 2 months in we became exclusive to one another only. 6 months later we became an official couple. 11 months later he needed help so he moved in for 4 weeks. He moved out due to wanting to sleep more and be closer to work and we still were a couple. A month ago he broke it off saying I deserve better he doesn't have any feelings for me after almost 2 years of being together and he needs to find himself. I told him once I am done I am done and no turning back he needed to think about it. He proposed friends with benefits exclusive. He told me he wasn't telling his family we broke up. He took me to his family Thanksgiving and I think he is gonna ask me join him for his families Christmas as well. I know for a fact he is not a dog or looking for financial benefits. He is a genuine guy that has had a super rough track record with crazy women. I have tested his trust and am completely confident he is upfront with me. He still has stuff at my house and his dog and I am being mature by letting him keep it all there until he finds a new place. Instead of saying we are broken up or not together he will say cause things are different now. I talked about the future and told him who knows either we will be together in love or have gone our separate ways. He piped in what if we are in between I said that will not likely happen and he tried not to seem bothered but he said "its either one or the other that there is no way it can be in between." I was told by him, his friends and family that I am the best thing that came into his life and he will never find someone like me in a million years. His mom just told me to stick with him and be a part of his life or even friends with benefits that he will come around he is just scared. I don't know what to do.
1
1