What does it mean when a guy is afraid to talk to you in person?

Lily3
so I met this guy at my best friends boyfriends party and we both got drunk and ended up making out for a while. neither of us are looking for a relationship it was just one of those spur of the moment things. since then we have talked every so often on messenger. However the other day he came into my work looked straight at me and then walked away (p.s. I work as a cashier at a grocery store if that matters) my friend asked him later that night why he didn't say anything and he said that he was afraid and didn't know what to say. then last night a huge group of us hung out and he totally avoided me without being obvious until near the end of the night when we were all sitting around and the only seat open was next to me and he just stood in the doorway. But since then he'll still talk to me electronically like nothing happened and btw this guy is the farthest from shy and when we talk its not like flirting he brings up his other guy friends sometimes to see if I'm interested

So I basically was wondering why guys do this? are some guys actually afraid to talk to certain girls face to face or in front of friends?

3
1