Why does a guy who rejected me keep contacting me?

At first he chased me like crazy, telling me that he wanted to date me. I gave him a chance and started to have romantic feelings towards him. It's like as soon as I started having feelings for him he lost interest in me. He started flaking out on plans last minute with excuses about how he was too tired from work to see me or claimed that he was sick. I understand that people do get tired or sick, but for 2 whole months? Come on! He didn't even bother to try to reschedule plans and he didn't initiate contact. I had to. I know that any man who truly has interest in a woman would make more effort than that. I gave up on him and told him that I was done trying. I told him that I didn't think that we could even be friends because people don't treat friends in such a way. I deleted his number. Two weeks went by and he has been texting me once every 1-2 weeks to say hi and ask me how I'm doing. Sometimes he randomly sends me a picture. No, I do not hold any grand illusion that any of this means that he wants me back again. I just would like to know why would he bother doing that? Why bother keeping in contact with someone that you clearly have no genuine interest in?
Why does a guy who rejected me keep contacting me?
Add Opinion