Would you want to know if your girlfriend or friends with benefits got an abortion?

If your girlfriend or friends with benefits fell pregnant but decided she wasn’t going to keep it - and it wasn’t up for discussion or debate, that’s what she was doing - would you still want to know even having no input?
I’m not asking if the scenario is morally right, just whether or not you would want to know of the situation after the fact and why

• Yes, but only if we were still seeing each other
  • Yes, even if she had ended any association with me because of it
  • No, I wouldn’t want to know
    Vote C

438

Most Helpful Guy

• My response was based on the assumption that the baby was mine. Absolutely I would want to know.

In fact, I got a gal pregnant. She told me and I begged - literally begged - her to keep the baby. She subsequently got an abortion and told me later.

That hit me hard and I took it very badly. In fact, it got to be like a bad movie for a while. I drank too much. I just could not stop thinking about the little baby I never got to hold.

Luckily, I met a gal whom I have been living with for ten years now and we have three children. I am wildly happy and got better than I deserve, but I still can't help think about the child I lost.

Assuming it does not involve me, much as I would discourage it and would tell my story, that is not something I would be expected to be told. Certainly, it would not be appropriate for me to ask.

So it really boils down to circumstance. If it is my child - you bet I want to know. If not, a prurient curiosity on my part would not make a bad situation better.

• Even with your experience and the fact it’s weighed so heavily knowing, why would you choose to experience that when in this situation ignorance could in fact be bliss?
      The knowledge doesn’t seem to compute with the outcome here to choose that situation or maybe I’m just not clicking with it sorry 😊

• That's okay. I am not quite sure I follow, but if I understood you right, I would want to know because my hurt matters less than what was lost. I love the little person I never knew, and it hurt so much because he or she - I never got to learn the gender - was part of me.

Living in a sort of blissful ignorance of what might have been would not make me a better person. In fact, it just makes me an ignorant one. I learned a lot from that experience - including how to be a loving father and an absolutely devoted boyfriend. (We don't want to be married. We think what we have is natural and beautiful.)

Had I never known, how much less of a father, boyfriend - and for that matter, how much less of a man might I be.

You bet it hurts, but that is how you learn to grow up.