My crush knows I like him just recently and he is starting to avoid me because my friend says he is very shy. So what does that mean?

My crush knew I existed but never dared talked to me let alone text me. His classmates are my best friends and they know I like him. He started talking to me 2 days ago or shall I say that's when we started to get funny. So I smiled at him and instead he used his books to playfully smack me. The next day, when I was talking to one of his classmates, he playfully stepped on my shoes. Then, 10 minutes later, he playfully smacks me on the shoulder and asks me to tell him what we were talking about. Now, that he knows I like him, he didn't reply my texts and he starts to avoid me. My friends tell me that he is very shy and that he doesn't want to make me feel uncomfortable. But, whenever he does stupid stuffs or something, my friends say that he would a steal a glance at my direction to see if I was looking.

Does he like me or something? Or is he just a friend? I don't know. He told me that he won't rlly talk to a girl or tease her unless he is comfortable or close to her. But, he and I are not close and he teases me that way. I am downright confuse right now because I don't know if he is interested in me or not. I am just so confused, please help me :)
1
1