Girls, How do I break the gossip after being "the guy that stared" at local gym?

Pretty straight forward: I caught myself staring, more than a couple times, while working out at the gym. It is difficult not too. Several of the trainers there are just drop dead gorgeous... maybe it's more instinctual to stare at pretty face in front of me when I'm working out than a blank wall. Anyway, as I am doing machines or whatever, yep, I ended up staring at them. So, needless to say, a couple of them noticed and I overheard them gossiping about " the dude that keeps staring". Argh, embarassing.

So, I've kept my head down and etc for the last couple months, but still super awkward to go to the local gym. Two girl trainers in particular start laughing and whispering back and forth when I enter the gym, just recently, when I figured it was a dead issue... (embarrassing, and angering) So, best way to approach this? Ignore it? Confront directly, as in: "Hey ladies, if you have something to say to me, why don't you spit it out?" What actually works, and what makes things worse, from a woman's perspective?
1