Guys, A guy I used to talk to is starting to be rude and I don't know why?

Me and this guy have known each other for about 2 years now, we go to the same school and see each other in the hallways. When I first met him he gave me nickname which was Spicy he would yell this at me in the hallways I guess to get my attention, and being a very shy kid I would try to ignore it because the whole hallway would stop and look at me making me uncomfortable, so I tried avoiding him in the hallways. At that time I had a crush on him but I felt like he was somewhat tormenting me. I tried talking to him but I always got scared and I would end up just looking at him and not being able to speak which would lead him to say "Why are you staring at me like that?" so I just gave up. Recently I found out that he told another guy a couple months ago that was his bestfriend that was interested in me after he talked about me to him after he lost interest in me I guess. He ended up telling the guy I wasn't a good person and that I was a bitch and that he shouldn't go for me which really hurt my feelings... he also told the guy before this that he wished I would just talk to him... but I was too scared... it really hurts me that he would say these things because I do care about him we just don't talk at all anymore... like he use to say hi to me in the hallways but now that's stopped... he recently got a girlfriend and when he sees me in a room he'll either leave or he will go into another section of the room where I can't see him, like when I was in the library the other day he sat in a dark room. I'm so confused at why I get this treatment from him? Why does he have to tell people I'm a bad person cause it really hurts my feelings... please help... I'm so confused
3