Guys! Why do you hold onto your ex when your relationship is over?

So i have this guy that i have been dating for a year, we are pretty much physical as well. He told me he is still in contact with his ex, i was okay with that since i thought it'd eventually stop, they were together for 3 years. But now it had started to bother me big time so i told him directly to which he responded ; i fon't want to let her go, i have very vague reasons, you might think i am weird for doing this.
That is obviously unfair to me, but since he hasn't asked me out yet, i am just giving him time.
We have amazing chemistry and understanding, we never fight. We are both 23.
P. s we will finish uni in 6 months and all 3 of us are in the same class so he says it'd continue until the end of uni life " but i'll try to get better and not hurt you"
His ex bad mouths about me ( isn't aware of us dating but sees us together always ). Shares status updates against me and even him but he just doesn't understand.
I don't know what to do anymore, i forgave him. Gonna wait and see what is he gonna do when uni is over.
Guys? Why would you do that?
2
0