His friends have been acting strange and he stares from a distance but doesn't approach me. What is happening?

This guy moved to my school 2 years ago. He is a year younger than me so I don't have any classes with him. However whenever I saw him in the corridor/ we were walking past each other, he would look at me with this wide-eyed look. The other year we had a Christmas dance where we do hyland dancing; we face in sets and move around the circle. When it came to us facing each other, he could not stop looking at my face with this wide-eyed scared look while brushing a hand through his hair. Nowadays, he friends seem to notice me when passing by in the hallways. When they spot me walking along the more confident friend looks at me, calls the guy's name, and smiles at him. The guy either looks away when passing while his friends are grinning, or he looks at me with the wide-eyed look, sometimes touching his face. One time, I was walking along the corridor when the confident friend (one who calls his), noticed me from the classroom they were in. He said 'h/n, look, look, look' to the guy and so the guy came and stood at the open door and smiled. Also, at lunch/break times I've noticed the guy stares from a distance, but has never approached me. Sometimes, when I've passed their group (they tend to linger in the corridor), they stop talking, look at me and him. If his friends thought I liked him but he didn't like me wouldn't they take any opportunity to smirk/laugh at me including him? This guy seems confident in general and around other girls. As the school is small, there are not many corridors, and so you pass by the same people quite often. When I've turned around a corner and he is passing by in the opposite way, he has a surprised look on his face with raised eyebrows. We've never spoken, I just catch him looking with the wide-eyed, either surprised or blank expression. I hope someone can help, I don't know what to do. Thank you 
0
1