Why does he do this?

So.. I was in school right! It happened months ago. Regardless, I had a problem with my junior schedule so I was walking to the guidance counselor so that it can be fixed and when I walked there I slightly bumped into this guy.. He was looking for the same guidance counselor and he was only a little bit taller than me (and I'm 5'2") anyways! He spoke and said, "Are you a freshman too?" and I obviously wasn't so I responded with a no. I apologised and left.. Anyways! Later that day he finds me and keep in track that it was the end of the school year and I have never seen him before in my life. He said, "Hey! I saw you earlier and I wanted to know if I could have your number?" He was actually really shy, but still I really didn't know him. I told him that I don't have a phone (with my phone inhand) and told him that maybe he could follow me on instagram? He does that and he messages me and begins texting me everyday giving me compliments and asking me to hang out with him after school and such. Regardless! Do you think he likes me even though we barely even met? I don't know what to do when I really don't want to hurt him, but I don't really know what he wants.. Should I ask him directly?
Why does he do this?
Add Opinion