Should I ask my boyfriend why he doesn't seem to like his dad?

I dont undedstand why my boyfriend seems ro have a bad relationship with his dad. From my understanding his dad was in his life and he was an influential person. He has told me about the times his dad gave him the sex talk and punished him for jacking off (I dont know why he did that). Apparently his dad was strict but he seems pretty regualr like a typical father. But my boyfriend says that his dad is just kind of there and that they never talk. And it seems like he is always trying to get away from him and not talk to him. His father was polite to me when we met, he shook my hand and introduced himself. At times when my boyfriend is proud of himself he will say he is his fathers son, as if his accomplishments come from that. I dont get how he seems to love his dad but doesn't seem to like him or want to be around him. And he said that if he argues with his dad again they will never speak again, but from what I can tell they are both really civil with each other and his dad didn't want him to move out of the house when he was a teenager. I guess his dad possibly could have been upset because he dropped out of school to work but my boyfriend is pretty accomplished to be a high school drop out so I dont get how there might be bad blood. The reason I want to ask is to maybe help my boyfriend fix his relationship or to understand him better and understand his family dynamic. Is it okay for me to ask? My boyfriend is pretty nonchalant and not easily offended but I still wouldn't want to cross any lines and invade his privacy.
0
1