Why is this guy long distance texting me when he seems to have a girlfriend?

So, matched with a guy on tinder.. Seemed nice etc, flirted a lot. But turned out he was in my town on vacation. He left for another city the next day. He kept on talking to me despite that. He even said he wanted to book a trip back to my city (6 h bus) just to see me, if only over the day. I didn’t encourage it so he didn’t do it.

When he got back home (8 h flight from me) he kept contact with me. We followed each other on ig and now we’re texting now and then. Always him initiating.

On his ig I saw that just a few weeks before visiting my town he had pics with a girl who was clearly his girlfriend. I assumed they broke up. But Today he got tagged in photos with her where they really looked like a couple.

Now he texted me again. He doesn’t know I saw the pics. So, what is he doing? When we text he’s flirting a lot, but he’s also friendly. Because of the distance we’re obviously not dating, but is this ok for him to do? I doubt his “girlfriend” knows about it.. If I had said ok he would’ve met me and we’d probably would’ve hooked up..
1
1