Are men less emotional than women or they don't show emotions often due to society?

• Men are less emotional than women.
    Vote A
  • It is due to society. Men have to bottle the emotions up.
    Vote B
  • The mix of A and B.
    Vote C
  • Men are more emotional than women.
    Vote D
  • I don't think men have emotions!
    Vote E
  • Others.
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Men focus on the world around them.
    Women focus on whats going on in there heads.
    Proof:
    " i feel -"
    " i have all these thing going through my head."
    " i felt like"
    All this is from the mind.

Now its not society per say that men dont show there emotions. It when men dont get anywhere with women when they do.

Countless of times i seen with my eyes women avoids a guys emotional side like plague. Deals with it only if he's really attractive. He shunned, teased, and called a bitch by mostly women. Ill tell you story if i had to but its women who make it hard for guys to do so.

0|3
    0|0
  • Men are taught from an early age to show less emotion. They develop a way of compartmentalization to deal with certain situations. They are supposed to be strong willed and show power in the face of adversity.
    Some do it better than others. Some compartmentalize too much and become a wreck, or blow up at the smallest thing.
    It's not they are less emotional, its just in how they deal with it is different than women.
    That said, some women are capable of compartmentalizing their emotions as well. It's somewhat less common though amongst women as they are not really taught that at an early age. Movies, television shows, and games for girls pretty much teach how to work through the emotion.
    Television shows, movies, and games for boys are "suck it up, blow them up, we have a job to do, deal with that crap later."

1|1
    0|0
    • You're absolutely right, but where did that idea come from? Evolutionary biology makes the most sense as to the cause.

• @Elizzie I would say it comes from cave man days. When men hunted for food, and women tended to the kids.
      Some men of the tribe probably got killed hunting for meat. The others could not stop hunting to mourn the loss because the tribe would starve.
      During the warring period, men fought in armies to expand land, or protect their lands. Again, they could not stop the battles. They mourned after the war was won or lost. In the mean time they took the grief and turned it to anger against the enemy.
      This next bit has been proven. Babies pick up on a mothers feelings. Ever see a mother be sad (not crying) and the baby just start crying after looking at the mom?
      Also, during cave days. Women consoled each other and helped each other work through emotions. This somewhat still happens today. Woman at office is crying, everyone goes to her aid.
      Man cries at office. He gets "suck it up buttercup."

Most Helpful Girls

• I've never dated anyone thats openly expressed how they feel.
    My brother dosent talk about how he feels either, My dad when he was a young boy stopped recieving cuddles and kisses at the age of 8, and overheard his father talking to his mum saying "He needs to man up, how will he handle school, You need to stop babying him"

I do think men are a bit less emotionless than us over dramatic women, but they still have emotions and some are very very deep but they don't share them, and when they do it creates arguments and has you asking why didn't you tell me sooner?

Of course It's Society and Parenting as horrible as it is, I know this is childish but I was talking about my teddy the other day with my boyfriend, I asked him about his and he said he threw it into the back of his closet because one of his dad saw and made a fool out of him.

Maybe it is just me but, Guys I like someone who can open up tell me how they feel, when they're hurt, jealous or in doubt it helps prevent arguments, if you can't communicate and tell us how you're feeling we're left guessing, Having a teddy or admitting to having one dosent make you less of a man, admitting to feelings like jealousy and anxiety dosent make you weird or boyish, it makes you human we are meant to feel these emotions.

I know I will raise my boys to understand its okay to have a teddy or to express emotion just as much as us over dramatic women do.

1|2
    0|0

• Show All
    • @Kaytiee You've got the right idea

• Generally, I think men are more rational where women are more emotional.
    I don’t think men lack emotion but I think it might take more to get an emotional response out of them whereas women are ready to express themselves emotionally at the drop of a hat.
    Of course there are exceptions to “the rule”.
    I’m basically emotionally retarded. I don’t do well with expressing myself emotionally or showing emotion except to a select few people and I once dated a guy that would cry over anything and EVERYTHING, to the point it actually sort of embarrassed me.

0|1
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 156

• I think men are naturally less emotional than women, but also that society also enforces men to not be emotional. I think it's both. But it's hard to really prove one way or another, because it's kinda chicken or egg.

But, it's like estrogen vs testosterone. Estrogen is going to cause a lot more of a variety of emotions. Testosterone is going to cause more anger. Anger, which is considered a masculine emotion. Whereas, all others are feminine.

So, I think society just reinforces nature's laws. People want to think that we're not really animals, but we are. And it's been proven that the frontal lobe's main purpose is simply to rationalize baser instincts. What if with all our innovation, all our technology, we're still nothing but apes with ape-ish social standards? I mean. We are.

And there's an important reason that men should not be emotional. Because one day he might have to protect his wife and child from a sabertooth tiger. And he will need to be capable of suppressing his fear, his desire for his own safety. That's nature's job, for us. And, even if tech makes that a lot less important, it's still a factor.

1|0
    0|0
  • its not society, its not that men have fewer emotions either. Men have emotions and we show and deal with our emotions we just happen to do it differently then women. Just because its not exactly how women do it does not mean its wrong or that its unhealthy, it just means we are different (which should be obvious) then women. Now we currently are having issues with men and their emotions but that is entirely due to WOMEN not men. Originally women where the emotional outlet for men as men cannot be intimate with another man because we are always going to view each other as competition. However with women that was different, they where never competition, they where always the ones who nurtured so men could always open up to women and share their most deep and personal feelings with them, that was until women started acting like men. When a woman goes and attempts to compete with men she becomes a competition, now he cannot share is insecurities or emotions with her because he risks it being exploited. Women have become increasingly hostile to men which also hasn't helped. But as I said its not that men are the problem (despite what society loves to tell us) its that we are fully capable of showing emotions, which we do, but we don't do it like women and we are more resilient towards negative emotions then women are. But again we use to have women be nurturing which allowed us to cope with the more extreme emotions but with modern feminism demanding that women act like men, men have no longer been able to have that same level of intimacy with women that they once had and thus will inevitably have issues which they historically would not have (this codependency (women needing men for their physical needs and men needing women for the emotional needs) is what created such a strong bond between men and women. Now that has been broken and we both still need each other but no one wants to acknowledge it causing disfunction).

0|0
    0|0
  • The ability to cry in order to release our frustrations fades during adolescence in the majority of men. As testosterone levels increase, frustration tends to be expressed through anger and rage, hence the need to bottle up our emotions. Testosterone is very much a double-edged sword.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to understand that for the most part, the most acceptable emotion for men to show is anger (and it's other men that tend to push this on men, because it's the one we feel most comfortable dealing with. Ask any guy whether they rather deal with a make friend who's raging mad or one who's sobbing).

0|0
    0|0
  • Men are not less emotional, they are emotional in a different way, which women for some reason can't comprehend. Women think we are repressing our feelings - which is often true, but in many cases, we don't do it because we are affraid of others' opinions, but because we genuinely feel better that way.

1|0
    0|0
    • Let me give an example, because I think I wasn't clear enough.

For example, if random wife cuts herself badly, there is a chance that she will over-dramatize it - get gauze, get disinfectant, go to the hospital, take out a day off, dammit, there's blood everywhere, how will *I* clean it up, JUST SOMEBODY HELP ME ALREADY! GIVE ME ATTENTION!

If random husband cuts himself - "Honey... we got any bandaids around? No? OK, a tissue and duct-tape will do. Gotta go to the chemist's, be back in a while"

Women often long for attention, while the majority of men are uncomfortable with unearned attention, and fundamentally dislike being the center of attention for anything but their achievements.

• Men are really emotional. However, they aren't allowed to show it, so it manifests itself as rage. Most dudes who do that are either always angry, or they bottle it up until they snap.

1|1
    0|0
  • ALL of your options are wrong.
    Men have the ability to feel emotions much the same as women, but our instincts tell us to swallow them and deal with them later. A woman's instincts tell her to talk about her problems and vent a lot more, but those don't make a man feel better.
    Society is based ON human behavior, not the other way around. Society only reinforces these things because men behave this way so much of our OWN accord.

0|2
    0|0
    • So would you say that’s the reason for men having a higher suicidal rate than women because we tend to bottle our emotions and yes I know there are other factors that come in play with suicidal thought

• @Mrwonder Probably. I'm not a psychologist, but I do know that men have mental blocks against sharing their insecurities and making their embarrassing failures known to the world. I also think that men place a disproportionate amount of responsibility on their own shoulders, and thus society does too, and so when men fail they feel worse than if a female fails at the same thing.

• It's worth looking up, but I've heard that testosterone actually makes most emotions STRONGER, especially activating emotions like anger, happiness and excitement. So I would think it's just a social construct. But I'm not sure, like I said, definitely worth looking up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both. Men are naturally less emotionally expressive, testosterone has a lot to do with that. But they might hold back because they don't want to be pitied or looked down on either, because a lot of the time even those who encourage men to be more open emotionally, women especially, still do lose respect for them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women are (generally speaking) more emotional than men. The hormone ratios that our bodies often produce affect our behaviors in different ways. I think that our biology is the primary determinant, but societal norms that are influenced by observations of behavioral differences only reinforce our expressions of emotion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe it is a lack of emotion but rather a significant difference how it is manifested. At a emotion event a friend asked m how I could not be moved by a tragically moving story,. She and lots of others were crying or had big tears. Because I wasn;t teary eyed did not mean I was unsympathetic to her tragedy. I thought about it and how tragic it was. I was sad for her. But I didn't need to cry. So I think men can feel the same hing but process it differently.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't share my emotions usually as they are my emotions and unless im actively sleeping with that person or married them or their the mother of my kids its no ones business.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both men and women are highly emotional. How we show it is what differs.
    Its acceptable for a man to have feelings for his family, friends, woman, kids and causes he supports.
    However if a man gossips, argues over petty things, acts like a toddler, he is still emotional but not in a masculine way.
    Being stoic is emotional
    Being couragous is emotional
    Being romantic is emotional
    Being empathic is emotional

All. acceptable forms of masculine emotions.

0|1
    0|0
  • Men (generally ) are less emotional than women. It doesn't really have a lot to do with society. Society is a reflection of the general behavior of a group of people within a particular city/country/region. I'm not less emotional than my female friends/relatives because of "society". I'm that way because it's just how I am.

1|0
    0|0
  • Men DO have emotions but we're conditioned to hide them from the outside world. We cry, we become sad, we have depression, even if society expect us to be strong and brave all the time - which is quite impossible, by the way

0|1
    0|0
  • see that's psychologically proven that mens mens are more emotional then women... just the thing is that , from the time they are born they are always taught by the parents to be strong and don't cry on small things and all... whenever he gets some injury they are always told to be strong and told that u r a guy and u should not cry... so they get this habit of hiding their emotions from their childhood... so they just don't show and try to hide as much as they can... hope it helps :-)

0|1
    0|1
  • Men emote differently than women. They show it through actions not words. It's literally wired into their brains. In fact in studies it is shown that men have a stronger emotional response. But as women expect men to express their emotions in the same way that they do, they miss it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I he never got this question cause of course we are the same amout of it why do you think men get angry and fight why do you think men commit suicide why do you think men try to seem tough. God someone has to be dumb to not really know the answer this.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anger is an emotion. And you'll see a LOT of angry men wherever you go. There's a reason that most murderers, killers, arsonists, beginner-of-wars are men.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think men express their emotions with actions and by doing things. Men go out to war they, fight, protect and provide. Whereas, women tend to express their emotions more verbally.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've always felt like I'm not emotional at all. And that's the case with a lot of my friends too. And I voted that men are less emotional for the simple fact that I've seen very few emotional people who aren't really suppressing their emotions and all but just seem to not care enough.

0|0
    0|0
  • since we r young we taught not to show emotions, because men are suppose to be tought, strong, and showing emotions is viewed as a sign of weakness. men are emotional too prob not at the same level as women but sometimes we need to vent and share how we feel but we can't cause taught different so we can everything bottled up

0|0
    0|0
  • I do believe that in normal circumstances, men and women can show equal emotion. It's up to the person to follow "social norms" and bottle up emotions. The emotions we share can be different, but we still show them. No matter who we are, we will always show emotion.

0|0
    0|0
  • 50% A, 50% B. Remember having less emotions isn't a bad thing it helps men take things more seriously. It's a problem however when people start ignoring male emotions as they aren't as strong as female ones.

Men need as much emotional support as women it's just men show it less.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men are definitely as emotional as women. Yes, men do feel compelled by some societies and nurture to not show their emotions/bottle them up. But they are just as emotional even when they don't show it.

0|0
    0|0
  • personally i don't care what society thinks or says i just give society the bird and the middle finger and say fu to society and just go on with my life it's not going to stop me from living my life how i want it. i live outside of societies limits because i'm a rebel and live my own rules and follow the governments rules as well

0|1
    0|0
  • Men naturally keep their emotions more in check because of more stable hormone levels. To some extent it is reinforced my society, and it runs deep, ingrained into men's mentalities. For example, I cry sometimes, but absolutely refuse to do so in front of other people, even those I'm close to, I'd prefer to excuse myself from the situation if I'm going to cry.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me personally, especially as I've gotten older and use my frontak lobe more, my emotions have dulled. I feel a lot less than I did as a child or teenager and it makes life so much easier.

Some intense feelings I miss but it is what is.

0|1
    0|0
  • We just show our emotions differently.. Many men are taught not to cry, or if they do cry, don't weep in front of people.. So they just exhibit this emotion through anger..

1|0
    0|0
  • Testosterone represses some emotions, but men are still capable of having them.

People DO NOT respond positively to emotional men, so it's better to not be emotional if you're male.

0|1
    0|0
    • He's right

• Show All
    • I don't want an emotional man anymore than a man wants a over aggressive female

• Wow,,,, Feminist hate me too. I represent everything they are against. Like gender roles, not wanting to be head of the household. I wear bras and skirts. I think way to many women wear pants and flat shoes.

• Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 34

• It's hard to say because hormones affect men and women differently. Men may Express hurt more with anger and frustration and women Express it more with sadness and crying. And it depends on the level of hormones. But to say men are less emotional would also be saying they don't love or care as much and well I don't believe that. So not less emotional. Just expresses those emotions differently.

1|3
    0|0
  • Men and women feel the same thing, but communicate what they feel differently. Men and women do not differ overall in their intensity of moment-to-moment emotional reactions to emotional situations... We share comparable human cognitive functions. The emotion processing is mainly the only thing that differs between the sexes.

Don't take any offense, but I'd honestly suggest trying to get to know a guy. Any guy. Even when they express anger, that is still an emotion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dont think that men are less emotional than women are. I think that everyone has different ways of showing and coping with their emotions differently. Some people may be very upset but no one knows this because of their quiet or cheerful disposition. I think that because of gender roles it may be harder to read men due to a "masculine" disposition. Generally people are upset when given a reason to be.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think men are as emotional as women but because they can show their emotions , because they are afraid to be seen as less of a man, they are more sensitive than women. They can't show so they tolerate a lot and get explode at once.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men express emotions differently. It doesn’t me they express them less. It doesn’t mean society has an ironclad grasp on their tear ducts. They’re just different.

0|1
    0|0
  • Men for the most part are not able to discuss their emotions. They do well giving sex and discussing that stuff, but anything deep and they clam up.

1|0
    0|3
    • No one can be trusted for dudes to open up to

• Show All
    • I'll open up. and say you r a beautiful looking blonde

• but not even for their homies. they are distrustful and always try to look good and macho and "worthy" around their boys. they are never truly authentic and open to anyone...

• Less emotional but often more ruthless when it comes to hurting another

0|0
    0|0
  • Men are absolutely emotional. They’re raised to both suppress emotions and to believe that their emotional reactions are Logic™ and Truth™. It’s exhausting to be around, truly.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men use their grey matter more, while women use their white matter more. That's the whole thing behind it. Men have an easier time with problem solving, while women have an easier time seeing the whole picture.

0|0
    0|0
    • What about black matter? Is that used by YY chromosome humans? lol jk

• I think it's a mix between A and B. And it's a shame because they should be "allowed" to show their emotions. Sometimes hiding emotions only makes us feel worse.

0|0
    0|0
    • Women don't want guys that cry or get emotional.

• Show All
    • We look disgusting, and sound like a wailing seal on the beach. When you see it you'll never say its okay for men to cry again.

• @Mrbrainsyck Hummm, no, I don't think I'll change my mind. Plus, no one looks good when they're crying.

• I've been sympathizing more with the Male experience lately. At a young age a lot of men are taught that certain emotions are not "manly", and society teaches men that there are only a few ways to be " a man" - its damaging to both men and women. I think some men struggle with masculinity issues because of this, and learn that it's okay as a man to Express emotion through anger and frustration over tears because its deemed as masculine behavior. This in turn affects relationships negatively, and to some extent leads to the stereotype of men not being emotional creatures. All humans are emotional creatures, some men werent allowed to Express that through the course of the their lives like women were.

0|2
    0|1

• Show All
    • Wow, there's a lot of pain and suffering in this thread. I encourage you to look at the claims you've made here about sexuality, gender roles, and psychology, and see if studies and research in these areas back up your beliefs.

• Which person are you addressing?

• They are not less emotional they just express them differently

0|2
    0|0
  • I have seen men get incredible emotional, sometimes more than women it's just some of them don't like to show it much.

0|0
    0|0
  • B, perhaps A and B.
    I've actally had guy friends tell me they wouldn't get away with being emotional.

0|1
    0|0
  • Scientifically proven woman are more emotional. Thus the P. M. S

0|2
    0|3
  • I think it's a mix of both. In general they might be less emotional, but it's still shut down if they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • My ex was very very emotional at everything >.< Everything would upset or hurt him.

0|0
    0|3
    • Love all the downvotes! I didn't say I don't like a guy to show emotion, it's fine if he wants to cry at something sad or whatever but not to extremes. That's the same with girls too, I don't like being around extremely emotional people as the tiniest little thing can set them off.

• It has a lot to do with society now a days. My boyfriend is in the military and he hold a lot of his feelings inside.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really think it depends on the person, I had boyfriends who are more emotional and less emotional than me 🤷

0|0
    0|0
  • Men are emotional but because society believes emotions are "feminine" it's a bad thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • They bottle their emotions up to seem strong but their a emotional wreck on the inside

0|0
    0|1
  • It's mostly social.

1|2
    0|0
  • It depends on seduction!

0|0
    0|0
  • none of the above.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wondered this myself but I think it’s a and b