Why is it harder for some guys to put a label on their relationship?

There’s been times when my guy friends and my guy cousins are clearly dating a girl but they don’t want to call her his girlfriend yet. Why is this?

941

Most Helpful Guys

• I can only speak for my younger self, but I often had a feel early on about how serious I was going to be about a girl... So I would often try to hold off progressing with a girl when I knew I wasn't going anywhere with things because it was going to hurt her worse and worse the deeper things got when it eventually fell apart.

Of course then I got older and more mature and realised the only truly decent thing to do was be upfront and honest, even if it meant telling a girl something like "Look, I really am having fun spending time with you, and I admit I'm physically attracted to you, but I'm not your guy. If you want to be friends, I'd like that, but that's all I want to be, because I don't want to waste your time."

• Seriously? Thats two in a row! When did dating start meaning relationship? Maybe they dont want a relationship because its then expected they have to be monogamous? Ill admit its often if not always in the grey area where dating stops and relationship starts. But thats why people talk about it when the time is right. And when is the time right? They certainly know better than you and me which is why i consider it noisy if you or me should stick our noses into it and try to accelerate it or something. But as long as there hasn't been any talk about being in a relationship i consider dating more or less the more adult version of fooling around/exploring without commitment. Its then especially annoying for the satisfied part if the other part wants more out of it should you choose to interfere